Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transition Time Not Adjusting

Howdy!

I cannot change the transition time in iMovie 10.0.1 - I've tried different clips, different transitions and the transition time is ALWAYS 1.0 second. I can neither make shorter transitions, nor can I make longer transitions.

Somewhere in the iMovie for Mac help I saw this: "Because no transition can be longer than half the length of the clip on either side of it, the transitions in your movie may be shorter than the default, depending on the length of the clips before and after the transition." My clips before and after the transition are long enough for me to make the transition I want to make.

Any tips? Or just wait and hope?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Duet Mac & iOS

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 6:07 AM

9 replies

Dec 2, 2013 6:40 AM in response to Alan Cook2

I double click the transition. The transition "dialog" opens in the upper right frame of the application. There is a little box with the transition time. I update the transition time and hit enter, and it reverts to 1.0 seconds. I try again but this time I use the "Apply to all transitions" button and the same thing happens, the transition time reverts to 1.0. It does not matter what value I enter into the dialog.

Feb 6, 2014 10:33 AM in response to odditonic

To lengthen a transition try the following:

1. Click to select the Transition

2. Look at the top meny bar to find the Transition name and duration.

3. Select the duration and enter the length you would like the transaction to be.

4. HIT ENTER ON YOUR KEYBOARD.

Failing to hit the enter key means that the transition duration change does not stick.

Feb 11, 2014 1:00 PM in response to lmiksch

It is exactly what I do: hitting the enter key on the keyboard.

But this is not solving the problem of the transition time every time coming reseting to 1.0 s 😟

I don't know why but this bug is coming times to times for transitions, not every time. But when it comes for a given transition, no way to solve it, even by changing transition type ! 😟

I agree with arinha, too much bugs in this version of iMovie !!

For example, another bug I found:

When I work in the timeline with the option Presentation / time line adjustement and right click on a transition to adjust (display precision edit) (sorry my iMovie is in french language so I don't know the exact english commands), when I want to exit the precision editor, iMovie freezes and consequently also Mavericks. No way to continue, even after waiting 30 minutes (I did the trial) ! Then the only choice I have is to reboot the iMac and restart the job.

When I work in the timeline without the option Presentation / time line adjustement I don't have this bug.

==> AMAZING !

Please Apple, can you solve quickly all those bugs and continue, as done in the past, to deliver great apps and not doing like the others: apps with bugs...

Thanks

Jul 26, 2016 8:45 PM in response to odditonic

Same thing happened to me, so frustrating! Then I realized that you can only change the duration of your transitions before you start placing clips in your timeline. The only duration you can change after you started your movie are the first and last transition. Rigth after you start a new movie you change the duration for all the transitions on the settings panel. then when you ad them they will be as long as you decided.

Hope it help. Regards.

Transition Time Not Adjusting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.