Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Till now Aperture worked well in mavericks, "suddenly?" the import of raw files from Nikon D700 is no more supported, only jpg's are accepted. Any idea what happened?

Aperture (3.5.1) worked very well in Maverick (OSX 10.9). After having worked on pictures, "suddenly" messages poped up saying that "his os not a supported format" and the thumbnailpicture became black. Since then Aperture does no more accept the import of the Nikon D700 raw format (NEF); omnly jpg is accepted.

I'm very puzzeled, can you help?

Thanks,

Felix

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 6:25 AM

13 replies

Dec 2, 2013 8:35 AM in response to felixspeiser

Alert to Every Aperture - User

In the meantime, I have restored Aperture back to version 3.5.0 with the help of time machine and everthing worked perfectly well again. Thus, above mentioned problem is now resolved.

Small comment:

the quality control of Aperture version 3.5.1 seems to have been rather sloppy, which is of course a little bit disappointing from such a reputed company.

regards,

Felix

Dec 7, 2013 3:38 AM in response to felixspeiser

Thanks to all of you

In the meantime I could locate somehow my above mentioned problem. I use Perfect Photosuite 8 from OnOne as a complemntary tool when working on my pictures. After having saved a corrected picture in Photosuite, Aperture some times looses the source information of the original of aperture.

When closing Aperture, opening it again and then opening the correction mode (cmd + H), the sorce to the original will be restored. I update then the archive and every things is ok again.

Problem/Questions:

1.) this "behaviour" was not observed with the OSX version before Maverick

2.) this "behaviour" was not observed with Perfect Photosuite 7

3.) this "behaviour" as not observed with Aperture 3.5.0

All the updates of above mentioned programmes came together within a very short timelaps, thus I'm not able to really understand what effectively happened and where the problem really is.

I can live with this ;-() -> Perfect Photosuite 8 really replaces Photoshop when only focusing on correction- and enhancementwork of raw pictures. Together with Aperture a quite strong workflow is possible.

Regards,

Felix

Dec 10, 2013 6:34 AM in response to felixspeiser

Unfortunately: Same here, too. I have some RAWs from a D800 in older projects that always worked before. Now I often see a triangle on a grey gradient and "unsupported image format" when I change from browser to viewer. Restarting aperture sometimes helps.

I also had problems with Nik Plugins. Strange: Sometimes opening an image in Color Efex worked, while Viveza also said something like "unsupported image format" (I convert to TIFF 16bit for plugins, that always worked). I reinstalled the latest release from Nik, and so far it worked again.

Dec 10, 2013 8:05 AM in response to Johannes Lietz

Hello

1.)

Some care has to be taken with the formate to imported in plugin-programmes. Nik sime times accept only jpgs/tiffs or jpg/psd, thus Aperture export settings have some times to be changed, depending on the programm you want to use together with Aperture. e.g. 16bit psd works well with Color Effex Pro 4 but not with Viveza 2 (where you shoud export as tiff),

2.)

The temporaraly lost of images which can be restored when reopening Aperture and then activating "H" still occurs some times and I'm still not sure what "constellation" provokes this misbehaviour. I could reproduce this when changing the exportation formate within the same working session but I will have to look at this more carefully to understand better.

Regards,

Felix

Dec 10, 2013 9:36 AM in response to felixspeiser

Thanks, Felix. A tiny bit of RAW finetuning such as sharpening also helps.

But I also just discovered several other weird and unpredictable effects:

image viewer => right click on image => menu appears => another click on image => menu disappears and image is displayed as rotated by 180 degree

image viewer => right click on image => menu appears => edit with plugin => image is displayed as rotated by 180 degree => plugin opens => cancel plugin => image is rotated to normal again

another image got flipped horizontaly somehow.

or weird effects like this:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Something must be seriously wrong on my Mac.

(sorry for pirating this thread...)

Dec 10, 2013 2:04 PM in response to felixspeiser

Thanks Johannes

I do not think, that your Mac is wrong if you have been working all right up to now, but do not ask me now what else it coul be.

I guess that some times we are working to fast, forgetting how strong our dear Mac has to work. Memory problems then can occure which may then be restored (at least some times) after having restarted Aperture. I remember vaguely that I had once a similar problem as you just described above, but I do not remember what I had done against it (Aperture restart, library restore from Archive?). It was not a persistant and thus major problem.

Regards,

Felix

Dec 11, 2013 10:31 AM in response to Johannes Lietz

Johannes,

There is a similar link on the corruption issue that points to possible graphic card issues. A few of the users have two Graphic cards and replacing one seems to have helped. See: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5472914?answerId=23485264022#23485264022

What graphic cards are you using? Are there two in the machine which displays the corruption? What happens when you replace one or take one out?

Till now Aperture worked well in mavericks, "suddenly?" the import of raw files from Nikon D700 is no more supported, only jpg's are accepted. Any idea what happened?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.