Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.5 repeatedly crashes as 'memory full' despite 32GB RAM

Almost every session of editing multiple images my Aperture 3.5 session will hang irrecoverably (Force Quite dialog registers it as Paused) with a 'Memory full' error dialog - despite my iMac's 32GB of RAM and matching virtual memory (supplied by 3TB Fusion drive). This doesn't happen in any other application to my knowledge, including Lightroom 5, Photoshop CS5, etc. This used to happen with Aperture 3.4, and I believe so when on Mountain Lion.

The possible factors that I've considered so far:

1. The library was originally an iPhoto library, upgraded to Aperture-compatible at version 3.4 I believe. I've not worked in iPhoto long enough to test if this is exclusive to Aperture.

2. The library is also a substantial 500 GB, storing 59,000 images - not including versions.

3. The memory hangs when I'm adjusting images, but doesn't appear to be any particular tool.

4. It tends to hang after about half an hour of intensive work, neccessitating a Force Quit and picking up where I left off. As you can imagine, this happens a frustrating amount during a photo editing workout...

Would someone kindly help me out with a list of things I can do to try and assess where the problem lies? Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

p.s. I'd really rather avoid splitting the library up into smaller pieces, as I don't believe that's a problem, with people handling much larger libraries than mine. I would happily move to a 'proper' Aperture library if I could do so without further risking the integrity of the data, though I do have a backup on my TimeMachine.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 3.4 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 3TB Fusion

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 7:19 AM

There was another thread here talking about a possible memory leak in Aperture. Most users seemed to get around the problem by turning off On Screen Proofing.

If you have On Screen Proofing set try it with it off. See View->On Screen Proofing. Even if you did not set it intentionally you might have turned it on inadvertently with the keyboard shortcut.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2013 7:19 AM in response to tim.swift

There was another thread here talking about a possible memory leak in Aperture. Most users seemed to get around the problem by turning off On Screen Proofing.

If you have On Screen Proofing set try it with it off. See View->On Screen Proofing. Even if you did not set it intentionally you might have turned it on inadvertently with the keyboard shortcut.

Dec 2, 2013 4:56 PM in response to tim.swift

I have the same problem. My imac has 32GB of RAM and Aperture maxes out the RAM after about 10 to 20 minutes of editing. At first I would get a warning that system memory had been used up and I would have to Force Quit. That was a few weeks ago when I first updated to Mavericks and Aperture 3.5. I am now on 3.5.1. More recently, if I forget to pay attention to the Activity Monitor and don't quit Aperture before it hits the memory limit, Aperture will hang for a moment and then my entire system shuts down. I believe it is the result of a kernel panic. Everything will start back up again with Aperture working fine (unless it requires me to do a repair) until I have to quit Aperture to avoid the shut down. I have noticed that kernel_task in the Activity Monitor usually sits around 1.4GB, but grows significantly and quickly when memory pressure grows if I push it a bit before quitting Aperture. Once I quit, the kernel_task immediately goes back to 1.4GB and memory is released after a few seconds.

I use Aperture all the time for my work. I work quickly with adjustments and have not had problems with the computer keeping up until now.

Dec 3, 2013 7:27 AM in response to tim.swift

Hi Tim and Frank,

Thanks for the advice. I have turned off onscreen proofing and it seems to have done the trick on a short project I just worked on. I have much more editing for this week, so I'll let you know how it goes.

I have always used the sRGB profile for onscreen proofing since all my work goes to a local lab. The prints always are a match to my monitor which is my uncalibrated imac monitor. I've tried hardware calibrators, but this just seems to work! Does anyone know if Aperture's default color space is pretty close to sRGB since I now have onscreen proofing turned off?

Dec 6, 2013 11:29 AM in response to tim.swift

I have been using aperture for several years, and have been very pleased up untill a couple of months ago. Crashes started occurring on my Macbook pro. Decided it was time to upgrade and bought a 27" I-Mac with an 3.4 i7 and 1tb fusion drive and 8gb memory. With a fresh install of aperture and a new library with only 320 pix, it crashed several times. Decided to up the memory to 32gb and a upgrade to mavericks. Am amazed to watch it drop down to 2gb after about a dozen phot edits. Very frustrated, have tried all of the suggestions and have seen no positive results.

Aperture 3.5 repeatedly crashes as 'memory full' despite 32GB RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.