Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX Light Effects Problem - Raster Lines When File Exported

I'm working with the latest version of Final Cut Pro X. I'm using the "Flashing" light effect and the "Subway Shadow" effect in an HD video. When I review them within the FCPX application (timeline) they look great! But when I bounce them out of FCPX using any codec, there are raster lines (light and dark shaded horizontal lines) within the effect (for example, the person's face has raster lines on it when the flash hits them). I shared (or exported) using the Apple 422 codec. Then I tried the higher quality 4444 and H.264 codecs and those didn't work either. I'm using other effects with no problems, but it seems the lighting effects are not being experted correctly. How can they be working within FCPX but not when the file is bounced out with Apple's own codecs? I can't figure this one out. The 4444 codec file was 20 GB so it's not like it's a compression issue, or is it?

I am combining these lighting effects with other effects: Keyer, Cool Tones and Water Panes.

I tried the Flashing and Subway effects together and separately with these other effects and got the same problem only with the Lighting effects.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions that may help me solve this problem.

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 6:12 AM

Sounds like interlacing. Switch the viewer controls to both fields and you'll see them in FCP as well. Are you editing in an interlaced project using interlaced media?

7 replies

Dec 2, 2013 6:13 AM in response to U2GT

Is this banding you're describing? If you take a screen shot is it visible?

Just to add that in terms of quality, H.264 is a highly compressed codec and while it may be more efficient than Pro Res 422, I wouldn't consider it higher quality. Also, Pro Res 4444 is Pro Res HQ with an alpha channel.

Russ

Dec 2, 2013 6:21 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

The original HD file is from a Canon HFS10 1920x1080 at 29.97 fps. I always shoot in 30p (progressive).

I'm not sure if this is considered an "interlaced project" or not.

I found the "show both fields" settting and you are right! I can see the raster lines now.

So what do I do to fix this problem? Do you need more info from me?

It looks great when I don't show both fields. Nice smooth glow.

Thank you so much for the prompt response! This support group is amazing.

Dec 2, 2013 6:41 AM in response to U2GT

I just looked this up on another part of the forum. Someone recommended this:

"If you go to File > Project Properties and click the little wrench in the bottom right-hand corner of the info pane, up pops the properties of your project. Just change the Format to progressive (e.g. 1080p instead of 1080i)."

My project was set to 1080i. Not sure why. I import 30p files. Does anyone know what the project was in 1080i? Maybe it defaults to this? I'll have to go back and check other projects I've done.

FCPX Light Effects Problem - Raster Lines When File Exported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.