Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks-compatible CardDav and CalDav Server on PowerPC

I have an old PowerPC Mac Mini that I would like to set up as a CardDav and CalDav sync server for our household Mavericks computers to use for syncing their Contacts and Calendars, avoiding iCloud. The PowerPC Mac Mini is limited to running Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard (or Leopard Server). I have a legitimate copy of Leopard Server, but unfortunately, Leopard Server does not support CardDav (Contacts syncing).

I am looking for PowerPC / Leopard compatible solutions for a CardDav and CalDav server that is known to work on my PowerPC Mac Mini.

There are several tools out there, all of which require complex configurations, but I am concerned about the following:

* Compatibility with the old PowerPC Mac OS Leopard codebase.

* Compatibility with the Mavericks clients.

Does anyone have a running, working solution to provide CardDav and CalDav sync services to modern Mavericks clients from a PowerPC Mac running Leopard or Leopard Server?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Leopard and Leopard Server

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 9:02 AM

5 replies

Dec 3, 2013 7:24 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you for the suggestions, but I had hoped for someone with successful, concrete experience who could point the way. Finding the precise older version that would work feels like searching for a needle in a haystack. Even if I could get it to run, then I would have to see if it supports Mavericks. I have looked at both websites (and others, too) before, but getting started is tough without knowing what will work and what will break. At some point it may be less time consuing and frustrating to buy a new or used Intel server and go from there.

Hopefully there is someone out there who is running a PowerPC Leopard or Leopard Server Mac, and can definitively say that they got CardDav and CalDav services running in a way that supports modern Macs, or simply that they tried it without success (and tell us what issues they ran into).

Dec 11, 2013 6:19 PM in response to emorig

The Leopard Server supplied caldavd will work with for an iCal server, although it isn't flawless (however I'm not sure whether this is bad data or what). I haven't had time to figure out if I can get a version of carddav to work.

I am trying to update the caldavd in hopes of getting a combined caldavd/cardavd and also "fix" the caldavd bugs I've encountered, but haven't yet found how to put together a working set of Python on and server version.-kby

Dec 31, 2013 8:15 AM in response to Kimo B. Yap

Just a follow up:

I tried setting up Baikal to run on a Leopard Server in a VMware guest as a trial effort. If it had worked, I would have installed it on the PowerPC Mac Mini and posted the details here. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it work, despite investing several hours. It required many deviations from the written procedure. In fairness, the procedure was written for a Mac running Mavericks.

After investing a reasonable amount of time and effort in an obsolete PowerPC Mac, I decided that it is time to retire it and replace it with a new Intel Mac Mini running Mavericks Server that can run local Contacts and Calendar sync services for the family Macs, iPhones, and iPads on the home network. I am still doing basic setup on the new Mac, and am not ready to tackle Contacts and Calendar syncing yet.

Here is one source for setting up Mavericks Server as a sync server. Note the comment describing a bug for Contacts syncing:

http://securityspread.com/2013/10/27/setting-sync-server/

Here is another:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2061183/itunes-ios-syncing-gone-solve-it-with-se rver-.html

This thread is about getting a PowerPC Mac running Leopard (or Leopard Server) to do the job, so I won't hijack it for Intel/Mavericks issues. Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Mavericks-compatible CardDav and CalDav Server on PowerPC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.