Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant help needed please, moving from a pc to a mac

I bought a new MacBook Pro last week after the hard drive on my laptop went. Now the laptop is fixed I want to transfer all my documents over, Ive got the right cable attatchment and Ive downloaded the migration assistant to the PC

I got through the steps but it seems to get stuck every time on the screens where the PC says I need to choose on the Mac what files to bring over and the Mac says "Checking PC"

If I leave it too long the Mac crashes and I get a load of error messages when it starts up.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 12:38 PM

16 replies

Dec 2, 2013 12:42 PM in response to Unsavoury

If all you need to transfer are documents created by applications, then it may be a lot easier and faster. to simply copy the documents you want to an external USB drive. Then connect that drive to your Mac and recopy the files from the drive to your Mac.

Migration Assistant is always iffy and slow between PCs and Macs.

Dec 2, 2013 12:48 PM in response to Unsavoury

Migration Assistant will simply create a new user account on the Mac for you to log into. It will replace the user account you are now using on the Mac.

Application documents usually are stored in the /Home/Documents/ folder on the Mac. The "Home" refers to your user account that appears as a folder with a House icon on it. It's actually located in the /Users/ folder of the hard drive's startup volume.

Dec 2, 2013 12:56 PM in response to Unsavoury

No. You would make it your permanent account and delete the one you are now using. If you have anything in your current account, then you would need to move it to the migrated account (or you can do it vice-versa.)

I wouldn't think there is anything you need from the PC other than your documents, however.

Dec 2, 2013 1:17 PM in response to Unsavoury

Either way can work. However, you need to be sure you actually have established the ad-hoc network between the two computers if you use direct connect. If you use the local network method, then you must be sure you have File Sharing working between the two computers. If the computers are not properly talking to each other, then Migration Assistant won't work nor will any other basic attempt to transfer data.

Migration assistant help needed please, moving from a pc to a mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.