6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2014 1:54 PM by dstyley
3dit0r Level 1 Level 1

Having a problem with erratic scrolling in PDFs in Safari 7.0. I only noticed this for the first time after installing Adobe Acrobat Pro 11 (which doesn't mean to say it definitely wasn't there before, but I noticed it straight away after the install).

I've already tried deleting the Acrobat files in Internet Plugins, but I'm still getting the same 'sticky' scrolling. I'm running a MacBook Pro (2013 15" with 16GB memory, dedicated graphics, i7 processor, etc.) so I'm thinking it's not the hardware, as this should be more than powerful enough to scroll a PDF smoothly.

I have no problems scrolling this way in Preview, so wondering if it's Safari related, or if Acrobat has left behind some residual rubbish which is causing it. Any help greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.safari
    Safari

Try troubleshooting Safari extensions and third party plugins.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test. If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect:  Allow all other plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.applications
    Applications

From the Safari menu bar, select

Help Installed Plug-ins

Besides the following, what plugins are listed?

• iPhotoPhotocast
    • Java
    • QuickTime
    • Shockwave Flash
    • WebKit built-in PDF (absent in OS X 10.9 and later)
  • 3dit0r Level 1 Level 1

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but thanks for the help!

I've now tested as suggested by disabling extensions, and plugins, with re-starts in between. Unfortunately neither made any difference.

I've not worried to list the plugins as disabling them all completely made no difference.

Any other ideas, please? This is driving me nuts...

• 3dit0r Level 1 Level 1

Bump.

Anyone?

• dstyley Level 1 Level 1

I know it doesn't help, but I have the same problem.  Scrolling in Safari normally works fine, but with PDFs it is extremely jumpy. 

• dstyley Level 1 Level 1

This fixed it for me. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4589267

Not 100% smooth, but MUCH better.  Before it was unusable.  Offending files seemed to be:

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

and

AdobePDFViewer.plugin