Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync AAC files from ALAC source files.

Hi everyone,

I have an extensive CD library and I have recently been ripping my CDs to digital. I have been ripping to FLAC but my iPhone does not support FLAC playback. I noticed when syncing my iPhone the option to "convert higher bit rate songs to 128/192/256 kbps AAC". Could I convert my FLACs to ALACs (Apple Lossless) and then import those files into iTunes and use the convert to AAC function to sync my music while also saving space on my iPhone? The FLACs on my computer take up an enormous amount of space so converting them to MP3 or AAC and having two copies of the same song is out of the question. Does the convert to AAC convert my song and then store it locally before syncing it or does it convert and go directly onto my iPhone? If the convert to AAC function makes copies of my lossless music anyway then I will have to keep looking for a solution.

Thank you.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 3:47 PM

1 reply

Dec 2, 2013 8:17 PM in response to drum02

Drum02, Yes, that function to "convert higher bit rate songs..." is exactly what you want. It does an on-the-fly conversion as it syncs the iDevice, and leaves the library copy (ALAC in your case) unchanged.

As you noticed, you can choose from among the three bitrates (see picture below).

Be aware that the first time you use the feature, the sync will be extremely slow, as every single song has to be converted. On future syncs, only new or changed songs have to be converted, and it will be much faster.

User uploaded file

Sync AAC files from ALAC source files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.