Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i delete my documents and data on my iphone?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 4:04 PM

15 replies

Mar 11, 2014 4:50 AM in response to Roberto b

I made some significant discoveries on the Documents and Data battle last night and wanted to share.

1) Turning off Documents & Data made no difference in the 4.7GB chunk of mystery space being used up by D&D on my iPhone 4S.

2) Removing Texts did help, but I was still left with 4.1GB of mystery space. I had one text message with my son in the USAF that had lots of videos and pictures. I made sure to save them to my Camera Roll before deleting. But that one text was over .5GB. So Texts matter.

3) Backing up and Restoring just my Settings did not eliminate any of that 4.1GB.

4) Reseting my phone as a new phone initially did, until I added my two email accounts.

JACKPOT.

5) My Gmail account, upon extensive review, retains all the same folders on my phone as it does in my Gmail account on the computer (which I've never once visited). I looked in each folder until I came across one that said All Mail...containing 830 emails that date back to the establishment of that email address in the summer of 2012. On my phone there is no option to delete those, other than the painful process of going Edit>Tap>Tap>Tap>Tap>Scroll>Tap>Tap...830 times. I logged onto my Gmail account on the my computer, visited the All Mail folder, did a mass delete (100 items at a time) and then emptied the Trash

6) All 830 items were still on my iphone and were not budging without individually being deleted and I couldn't find a Sync with Gmail type option, so I deleted the Gmail account and then added it back to my phone immediately.

BOOM - Docments and Data went to 60.1MB.

The good news is that if you have a Gmail account and need to fish out an old email, you probably can. You have to work at it to make them go away. I had one come in this morning and had to flush it through my Inbox, the All Mail and then the Trash to get rid of it. I've opted to instead use the Gmail app for that account to save me this drama again.

I also use an iPad and through the cloud, had duplicates of ALL my text messages and the gmail account. Which explains the 'your storage is almost full' messages I've been fighting.

I am happily restoring all my music and plan to spend today in an 80s music haze. I hope this helps someone.

Good luck to all.

Jun 25, 2014 6:40 AM in response to skempkes

here's what worked for me:

in settings:

turn off synch for photos in icloud

turn off everything for photos in photos and camera

connect iphone to computer and go to itunes

select your device

then select photos from top bar at far right

uncheck synch photos at top and then apply at bottom

all photos were deleted from the iphone!

suggest you save photos to another directory before deleting.

I agree the trashcan should be active on the iphone regardless of synching/icloud whatever.

good luck!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.