Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro Time Machine Data

Hi guys,

I just got a new MacBook Pro and I want to transfer stuff from my old MBP, but not all of it. I only want to transfer over my emails (Mac Mail), documents, photos and music. Nothing else. No applications or anything. Is there any specific way of doing that? Can't really find a way. Thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 7:28 PM

two options, hard drive or migration assistant

Migration Assistant

After your Mac is up and running, with at least one user account, you can use the similar Migration Assistant app to transfer those same categories, with the same restrictions. This is mainly used to move an account from one Mac (or it’s backups) to another Mac that’s already set up. (Accounts transferred this way may have problems, especially permissions problems with files already on other drives, including backups.)

If you have any user accounts on the new Mac with the same name as any you want from the old Mac, there's a conflict. See the pink box in the Using Migration Assistant page below.

Note that user accounts transferred via Migration Assistant may lose permission to see and restore from files on other volumes, including backups.

But if you're already got data you need to keep in any of those other accounts, see Transferring files from one User Account to another.

For details and instructions, see the appropriate page:

Using Migration Assistant on Mountain Lion or Lion

Using Migration Assistant on Snow Leopard or Leopard

Using Setup Assistant / Migration Assistant on Panther or Tiger

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5872?viewlocale=en_US

😊

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2013 7:28 PM in response to indoscot

two options, hard drive or migration assistant

Migration Assistant

After your Mac is up and running, with at least one user account, you can use the similar Migration Assistant app to transfer those same categories, with the same restrictions. This is mainly used to move an account from one Mac (or it’s backups) to another Mac that’s already set up. (Accounts transferred this way may have problems, especially permissions problems with files already on other drives, including backups.)

If you have any user accounts on the new Mac with the same name as any you want from the old Mac, there's a conflict. See the pink box in the Using Migration Assistant page below.

Note that user accounts transferred via Migration Assistant may lose permission to see and restore from files on other volumes, including backups.

But if you're already got data you need to keep in any of those other accounts, see Transferring files from one User Account to another.

For details and instructions, see the appropriate page:

Using Migration Assistant on Mountain Lion or Lion

Using Migration Assistant on Snow Leopard or Leopard

Using Setup Assistant / Migration Assistant on Panther or Tiger

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5872?viewlocale=en_US

😊

New MacBook Pro Time Machine Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.