Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memorex DVD+R Dual Layer & Power Mac G5

For some reason my G5 want read a Memorex DVD+R Dual Layer disc that my friend burnt for me. I put the disc in, and the computer just spits it back out at me. Is this normal? What can I do? I got my G5 in 2004 can newer G5s read Dual layers? My friend made it on a Power Book so I dont see why I cant read the disc.

Power Mac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Jul 16, 2006 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2006 5:05 PM

Yes, older Macs don't support dual layer.

Go to Apple menu -> About This Mac -> More info -> under Hardware, select Disc Burning. Unless it says DVD+R DL, it won't support dual layer burning, and presumably reading as well. The specs of what it can read are in the Apple Spec database as well for the most port:

http://www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.html

If you can tell on the ATA bus, what DVD drive model you have, visit the manufacturer's website for more info on the drive support if your Mac model isn't listed above.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2006 5:05 PM in response to Ryan Reichenfeld

Yes, older Macs don't support dual layer.

Go to Apple menu -> About This Mac -> More info -> under Hardware, select Disc Burning. Unless it says DVD+R DL, it won't support dual layer burning, and presumably reading as well. The specs of what it can read are in the Apple Spec database as well for the most port:

http://www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.html

If you can tell on the ATA bus, what DVD drive model you have, visit the manufacturer's website for more info on the drive support if your Mac model isn't listed above.

Jul 16, 2006 7:01 PM in response to Ryan Reichenfeld

Yes, they are relatively new. For more on the history of DVD, see this page:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

I typically buy double sided DVD-R disks to burn more than 4.7 GB of data. These you flip over when you want more content than can fit on one side of a DVD. Alas you have to split up the content. Depending on the type of content this can be done by segmenting an image, or compressing the data itself and segmenting a compressed file. What's odd is that some disks which appear on the surface to be dual layer because of their single sided capacity, such as the Tiger installation DVD, are in fact readable by all DVD drives that are on Macs, whereas the commercial DVD+R DL is not. I don't know the difference between commercial and consumer grade Dual Layer disks, but there does appear to be one which makes them readable on Commercial grade whereas Consumer is not on older DVD players.

Jul 17, 2006 3:28 AM in response to Malcolm Rayfield

I've used Verbatim Dual Layer disks, and they aren't readable in my iMac G5 either. Neither are they readable in my Samsung stand alone DVD Player after burning them as a movie DVD with Toast using my Pioneer 108 based external Superdrive manufactured by OtherWorld Computing. And my mother has one stand alone DVD player that won't play them either. Consumer grade DVD+R DL is only supported by the newest players.

Memorex DVD+R Dual Layer & Power Mac G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.