Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is boot camp 5 and OS X 10.9 compatible with Windows 8

I recently bought the new iMac 27" (Late 2013) with following spec:

Intel I7 3.5 GHz

16 Gb RAM

3TB Fusion Drive

GTX 780M GPU (4G)

I have been trying to use boot camp 5 and install Windows 8 on it so I can run work programs on the new iMac.

Read through the Boot Camp 5 manual and follow it to the letter. Everything is normal until I hit the select partition to install Windows 8 screen (this is after rebooting using the windows 8 DVD).

Either one of the two scenario happened (I try this many times already):

There is no partition display at all (I mean nothing) and the only thing I can do is quite and reboot back to OS X.

or

All the partitions are display correctly (including the bootcamp one) but I can't continue with the installation because it's still in FAT32 format and i can't re-format it to NTFS.

I have being through the Genius Bar & Apple Tech support without any luck. I have been told by the guys at Genius Bar (who is not very helpful at all) that Windows 8 is not compatiable with OS X 10.9 .....but Apple tech support told be Yes it is.......

How do I install Windows 8 using Boot Camp 5 on new iMac (OS X 10.9)?

Thanks in advance!

defiantforce

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 3TB fusion drive, 16 Gb RAM, i7

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 3:03 AM

5 replies

Jan 14, 2014 6:47 AM in response to defiantforce

I experienced the same quirk.

When you select the bootcamp partition to install Windows you get the message that it is not formated correctly. This is true, Bootcamp when creating the partition formats it as FAT. To fix, highlight the Bootcamp partition and click on Advance in the lower right hand corner. This will bring up a window with multiple options. Select Delete. This will now list the partition as unallocated. On the same screen in the lower right hand corner click on New. This will now display information on reallocating the space. It will be a little less because Windows needs a work area. Click on Apply.

You will now be able to continue with the install process. I was sucessuful in installing Windows 8 Pro and then upgrading it to Windows 8.1

Is boot camp 5 and OS X 10.9 compatible with Windows 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.