Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to remove bootcamp temporarily?

I now have a bootcamp partition and think I don't need it in the near future.

I would like to remove the environment AND I would like to be able to restore that same, complete environment as easily as possible.

How to do this?

Regards,

Bob

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), (encrypted hard disk in OS X)

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 3:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 8:13 AM

Copy your data in Windows to an external device. Run Boot Camp Assistant and select the option to remove Windows. Your hard drive will be returned to a single OSx partition. When you want to use Windows again run Boot Camp Assistant and install Windows. Copy your data from the external device to your new Windows installation.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2013 8:13 AM in response to BobAalsma

Copy your data in Windows to an external device. Run Boot Camp Assistant and select the option to remove Windows. Your hard drive will be returned to a single OSx partition. When you want to use Windows again run Boot Camp Assistant and install Windows. Copy your data from the external device to your new Windows installation.

Dec 3, 2013 8:53 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Cheers, Bob, sounds logical.

Umm, don't get me wrong, but I was hoping for an even simpler solution.

My concern here is that I would not want to end in a "version battle" where OS X would require a different version from Windows or vice versa. Or where an upgrade from Windows (by re-installing?) would require me to buy new licenses from currently working software, etc. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt 😉

So, umm, maybe something with a disk image or creating a bootable image on a firewire drive which could then be stored separately?

Do you see any options in that direction?

how to remove bootcamp temporarily?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.