Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recently updated to mavericks, computer won't turn on

Notebook has been working like a dream with mavericks. This morning it won't turn on, anyone have any tips?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 5:05 AM

4 replies

Dec 5, 2013 12:13 PM in response to Cillasart

Hey there Cillasart,

It sounds like you are suddenly unable to turn on your computer. Given that information I would try the steps outlined in this article:

Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1367?viewlocale=en_US

1. Verify you have a good connection from your Mac to the wall outlet by confirming the power cord and adapter if present are securely connected and plugged in. To check if the wall outlet is working, plug in a lamp or other electrical device.
  2. If the wall outlet is working and you continue to have no power try another power cord or adapter if available. If it works you may need a replacement cord or adapter.
    Note: See Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters for further troubleshooting with MagSafe adapters.
  3. Disconnect all accessories that are plugged in to the computer, such as a printer, hub, or other mobile device.
  4. If your Mac supports user-installable memory, solid state drive, or hard drive, and you recently installed any of these, make sure they are installed correctly and are compatible with your computer. If possible, reinstall the original memory or drive into the computer to find out if the behavior persists afterwards.
  5. Reset the SMC.
  6. If you are still unable to start up your computer after trying each of these steps, visit an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for further diagnosis. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail Store, make a reservation at the Genius Bar using http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ (available in some countries only).Note: Diagnostic fees may apply for issues not covered under warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan (APP).

If your computer will start, but gets stuck at a gray screen, try the steps in this article:

Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2570

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

Jun 27, 2014 7:31 PM in response to Cillasart

I am having the same problem. Mid 2010 13" Macbook Pro, just updated to Mavericks last week. The computer worked as it should before the update. I had no problems downloading the update or installing it but since then my MBP would randomly freeze, something it has never done before. Then yesterday I noticed one of my external Toshiba 1TB HD formatted to exFat wasn't mounting which gave me a panic, after some research I noticed that there were others who had the same or similar problems with their external HD after the Mavericks update. After troubleshooting that problem I discovered that it was not the HD thank god, I reset the PRAM on the MBP and when the computer booted up the HD mounted. That problem aside the computer froze again last night while streaming a movie. Turned the power off and on again and booted up fine, watched the rest of the movie. This morning I wake up to the computer once again frozen on the screensaver. Powered it down and up again, no screen, no chime. Just the spinning noise of either the fan, HD or disc drive. Tried powering down and up again, same thing. (I don't think I need to explain the sinking feeling of having your computer not turn on, especially in the middle of 3 projects you're working on). So now it either turns on (little sliver light on face comes on but is dim) with no screen or chime and spinning noise and just stays like that indefinitely OR it tries to turn on (little light on) no screen, no chime, NO spinning noise and shuts itself down after 5 sec to only come back on to shut off again in 5 sec and this cycle repeats indefinitely or until I hold the power button till it shuts down.

I have researched for hours and it seems this is a reoccuring problem with some MBP users and the Mavericks update. I have read and tried every single troubleshooting tip to try and fix this on my end but none have been successful. Everything seems to point to it being a logic board issue. I have scheduled an appointment at an Apple store tomorrow but I am not thrilled that I have to drive 5 hrs round trip to do so, and I pray if they can fix it it that it won't take multiple days requiring me to drive another 5 hr trip to get it.

Any assistance outside of the default Apple Troubleshooting guide would be greatly appreciated. I have tried all the resets, I have reseated the RAM, cannot start in safe mode, held eject key, held the power button for varying lengths of time all without success.

Another question for the more technically inclined, is it at all in the realm of possibility that the Mavericks update could have fried hardware?

As I said before I had NO problems at all before the update and a slew of them including total failure after and I am not the only one, this seems beyond coincidence.

I will update this post after my visit with the Geniuses but I am very wary as I bought this MPB used from a friend, but I've had it nearly a year with no problems till the Mavericks update. I've read in other discussions on this topic in here that most cases like this they replace the logic board and charge a flat rate around $300 but again I am under no warranty or Applecare on this MBP so who knows? But if indeed it was the Apple update that cause this problem I feel I should not be out of pocket on this. Looking forward to seeing if there are even more people this has happened to and if there is anyone who can shed more light on this problem and its correlation to Mavericks.

P.S. Not happy at all with Apple today, originally tried to post this from my iPhone 5s but when I clicked on reply nothing happend! Had to pull out my old Acer to write this! BOOOOOO.

Recently updated to mavericks, computer won't turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.