Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storing RAW Captures on an IPAD for later use by Aperture. HOW?

When I travel I would like to use my IPAD instaed of my mac book pro as a tool to store my RAW captures. Later, at home I would then like to load on to Aperture on my IMAC and process them.

icloud will not allow me to do this . It will transfer the images to the imac , but they will not be editable once there.

In addition can anyone show me how to read the disk and files on the Ipad so with a wire connect between the two I can transfer data?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 5:23 AM

5 replies

Dec 3, 2013 5:46 AM in response to allanscl9

Not having an iPad I can;t comment on your general question but this caught my eye.

allanscl9 wrote:

icloud will not allow me to do this . It will transfer the images to the imac , but they will not be editable once there.

In what way are the image files transferred over to the Mac via the cloud not editable? You realize that the images need to be imported into Aperture, you cannot work on images if they are still in the cloud.

If you have iCloud enabled in Aperture and see the images in the stream then just drag them to a regular project and you can work on them. You can also set up Aperture to automatically import all images from the stream.

Dec 3, 2013 6:24 AM in response to allanscl9

Apple iPad Camera Kit is offered to meet the need of photographers who want to transfer photo files directly from cameras to the iPad. This will let you store the photos on the iPad, and later import them into Aperture.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/accessories/#camera-adapters

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4101?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

_Any_ use of this system for traveling should be completely checked beforehand. Both iOS and OS X have been upgraded since the Camera Kit was released.

You should aim to keep at least one original and one copy of all valuable computer files. There are many ways to do this while traveling, and much information.

(Added:) Here is a recent round-up published by Adorama.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Dec 4, 2013 1:49 AM in response to allanscl9

I posted this in another thread regarding an iPad to Aperture workflow, but it applies as well to your RAW management issue. I use an app on my iPad called PhotosInfoPro, and while not perfect, it does 90% of everything I need without creating too many arbitrary steps. It's not a photo editing tool, nor does it have any filters. It serves only to tag and rate photos so that I can do the major editing later on my Macbook Pro.

1. I import my photos from my D800 via the camera connection kit. This camera shoots 36MP RAW+jpg and I import them straight into iOS Camera Roll.
  2. I open up PhotosInfoPro and select the album (usually Most Recently Imported). One of the ways this app is superior to others I've tried is that it "mirrors" an entire album without you having to individually import each file into the app. This part was a non-starter for me in other apps like PhotoRAW which could only do one at a time. Also, unlike filter apps or editing apps, this does not duplicate the image in the camera roll until you are ready to export (more on that at the end).
  3. I can swipe through all my photos either in full screen or in a smaller window with a second window showing ALL the EXIF data. You can add metadata like keywords and rate the photos using a star system. I usually rate the ones I want to keep and work on later on my Mac with 3 stars. I don't bother with trying to rate them 1-5 as I waste too much time deciding the difference between a 4 or 5 star picture. The point here is to simply flag the ones I want to keep.
  4. When I'm done, I hit export and then select the photos that I've starred. You have several export options, including DropBox, but I usually just send them to iTunes File Sharing.
  5. I connect my iPad to my Mac, load up iTunes > my iPad > Apps > FileSharing, and you'll see a folder with the date of export. I then simply drag them onto my desktop.
  6. Load up Aperture and import from the folder on the desktop. All your ratings are there alongside your metadata. The best part for me is that ONLY the photos that are deemed worthy have now made it onto my computer. The remaining 100 or so that are slight variations of the same thing are not clogging up the hard drive and Aperture.
  7. Go back to iOS Photos and delete the album to free up space.

Here are the only drawbacks that I've seen so far:

• I wish it could do colored tags which I use quite often in Aperture. When doing my sorting on my Mac, I do not do the star rating. Instead, I flag the ones that are "worthy of future work" with a green tag.
  • There is no way to filter your selection by any of your tags. For instance, if you had 100 photos on import, and on your first pass you flagged 30 of the worthy ones with 3 stars, it would be nice to then filter the selection so you only see those 30.
  • I wish I could skip the iTunes File Sharing step altogether and simply import directly from Aperture, but this is not too much of a hassle.

Dec 4, 2013 1:52 AM in response to allanscl9

One more thing regarding iCloud...

I used to have my iPad set to stream all photos to iCloud via Photostream where my computer at home (which is always on with Aperture open while I'm traveling) would receive the photos. I had it set to automaticallly import into Aperture which saves them into automatically labeled folders titled "December Photostream". When traveling, I always knew that a backup was safe and sound at home regardless of what happened to my iPad or camera. Of course, this always required a decent wifi signal in my hotel room. When I started shooting RAW+jpeg, this workflow became a little too bandwidth intensive and I abandoned it for the workflow above.

Storing RAW Captures on an IPAD for later use by Aperture. HOW?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.