Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iphone 4s connects and disconnects (repeatedly) when connected to my computer

my iphone 4s connects and disconnects (repeatedly) when connected to my computer, it works perfectly fine when connected to regular chargers, everytime i connect it to my computer it shows the charging symbol and then disconnects and reconnects in less then a second, it will repeat this process forever unless disconnected, sometimes it works perfectly fine and most of the times it does the same thing, I know for a fact its not the wire because i recently bought an ipad mini with retina and its usb is new, it worked with the retina for a day or two and then it kept connecting and disconecting repeatedly, my computer is two months old and i have new hardware in that machine, is it a problem in the usb power fluctuation? i am currently using windows 8.1 and i need solutions, this is super annoying, all my other devices work perfectly fine with the usb ports, all my usbs (2.0 and 3.0) do the connecting and disconnecting sometimes it even works ,what is the problem?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 6:35 AM

14 replies

Apr 22, 2017 5:42 PM in response to Aqib2024

I'm having exactly the same issue here, and I can't connect to iTunes or Xcode. Charging works, though.

It seems like a problem with the cable. USB has 2 pins for power other 2 for data (so 4 wires inside the cable). The power pins(wires) work, because they do charge through the wall charger. However, the data wires seem to be broken. I keep my charging cable inside my backpack, and it seems to have broken inside. I've broken a cable just like that, without noticing that it ever happened. You can't recognize a broken cable from the outside.

So, the only suggestion I have is to use a new cable.

Dec 5, 2013 12:09 PM in response to Aqib2024

Hello Aqib2024,

Thank you for providing the details of the issue you are experiencing with your iPhone 4s. You have taken some really good steps to isolate the issue. I recommend following the steps in the article below to further isolate and troubleshoot this issue:

iOS: Troubleshooting USB connection

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1286

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Aug 26, 2014 11:17 PM in response to Aqib2024

I have the same problem ! It's really hard & super annoying to get my iphone 4s to connect to itunes and/or pc.

My pc: windows 7

And i don't think there's anything wrong with the cable, coz it connects fine to a socket (with the lil' piece). Pc is the problem.

I looked at the instructions. Made me laugh. I've had this problem at least a month, AT LEAST.

What is going on? 😠

Aug 30, 2014 7:24 AM in response to AmishCake

I don't use any external usb thingies, i plug my devices directly to my pc.

My mp3 connects just fine to both usb slots there is, so they're not the problem.

And the cable works fine with the socket piece. starts loading the phone etc. (and the cable is fairly new, not the original) and they're kinda expensive..

i need to get my phone work with my pc T.T coz i don't have a wifi connection.

So what can be the problem?

Oct 26, 2015 11:42 AM in response to Aqib2024

I have been having the same issue with my iPhone 4 and Lenovo USB 3.0 dock. The issue in Windows 8.1 (64bit) was that in the power management section, you need to turn OFF on both 1) On battery and 2) Plugged in of "USB selective suspend setting".

You can find this setting in [Power Options] --> USB settings --> USB selective suspend setting --> On battery: [Diabled] and Plugged in: [Disabled]

Oct 26, 2015 12:23 PM in response to sheila_m.

I have been having the same issue with my iPhone 4 and Lenovo USB 3.0 dock. The issue in Windows 8.1 (64bit) was that in the power management section, you need to turn OFF on both 1) On battery and 2) Plugged in of "USB selective suspend setting".

You can find this setting in [Power Options] --> USB settings --> USB selective suspend setting --> On battery: [Diabled] and Plugged in: [Disabled]

Nov 20, 2015 9:13 AM in response to Aqib2024

A SOLUTION TO TRY.

I have suffered this problem. What it was NOT was USB connections, outdated software etc. Ok, try all these, but you will find that it is a built in problem with the iPhone.

I bought new lead and upgraded software etc (& spent 20 hours doing this) no joy

What solved it for me.

1) put the phone in airplane mode

2) disable bluetooth

3) Disable all apps that try to sync (e.g. dropbox, photos)

My phone then managed to stay connected for enough time to update

4) spend an hour re enabling all the apps and settings.

It works, but is incredibly annoying, syncing my iPhone is now a 2 hour tedious job, not plug & play:(

Apparently it has something to do with power dropping when apps are active

my iphone 4s connects and disconnects (repeatedly) when connected to my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.