Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Sent" emails disappearing into the void:

There is another discussion on this going on, yet since it has been wrongly labeled as "answered", I guess the Apple staff haven't been following it. So I'll start a new one.

Here is the situation: Starting from iOS 7 regardless of device, many users have been experiencing the issue where, you write or respond to an email, hit send, and the message appears to have been sent. Yet the message is not sent, and doesn't appear in Sent or Drafts folders (nor "Outbox" folder in case of Exchange email systems). The intended receipients never receive the message, and no copy of it seems to exist anywhere.

Apple has suggested users simply delete the account from the phone, then re-create it. That seems to solve the issue, but only temporarily. Within a few days, the problem is back. Upgrading to the latest version of iOS doesn’t help either.

This is really crippling for an office where my users rely on their iPhones and iPads quite heavily when communicating with clients.

PLEASE HELP!!

iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 7:06 AM

32 replies

Dec 19, 2017 7:01 PM in response to Joe Peanut

I had the same problem- sent about 20 emails saved in drafts, and they appeared to be 'sent' but just disappeared from all mail folders. I just got off the phone with apple support. I used my iCloud email address to send the emails so a supervisor recovered the 'trash' folder (after trying draft and sent folders) and the emails appeared there. Very strange phenomenon but am thankful I don't need to rewrite 20 business emails. If you used your iCloud email, call Apple support- they can fix it.

Dec 14, 2013 5:01 AM in response to Joe Peanut

Joe Peanut wrote:

There is another discussion on this going on, yet since it has been wrongly labeled as "answered", I guess the Apple staff haven't been following it. So I'll start a new one.

Apple staff does not read or respond in these clearly defined user to user technical support forums.

Stop creating new threads simply because you chose to not read the Terms of Use.

Jan 8, 2014 6:23 PM in response to diesel vdub

You're missing the point by a mile, vdub. Who cares what the Terms of Use says? If there is no solution that the community can supply because IOS is crippled AND apple is blithely ignoring a real issue, then this forum is just so much blowing off steam. This problem is NOT solved. I just lost two long email messages - both of them important, because I foolishly thought that the email client on IOS 7 actually worked.

Jan 13, 2014 3:04 AM in response to cycollins

I am also experiencing this exact issue and the other thread does not help at all. The issue is definitely not resolved.

This is since the iOS7 update and when it first started happenning I called Apple support and I restarted my phone so it started working again. A few days laster it stopped sending emails again. This is hugely problematic as it doesn't even save a copy of the email in sent items, it just disappears!

Apple won't help me because I don't have an applecare plan. Surely they should support the email service they offer without a care plan?

I have tried everything suggested before, deleting account, restoring factory settings etc. I also set up the account to use @icloud.com instead of my @me.com address as that resolved my issue with photo streaming not working. I have a feeling this is related to it but Apple doesn't let me change my AppleID to the icloud address, I can only use @me.com. I think they have a real issue with people transferring over from old mac and me acocunts into the new iCloud system.

Anyway, anybody got any solutions?

Jan 13, 2014 4:43 AM in response to diesel vdub

Thanks for the comment vdub but as you know that is not very helpful. Being a fairly intelligent person, I can deduce that as there is no obvious fix from my first call with them, which they did free of charge; and from the numerous discussions around the internet on this matter, they are not likely to be able to help. Therefore I won't be spending any money with them on support. Plenty of other service providers offer their support free of charge so if this isn't resolved in the next few weeeks then I will move to one of those providers, as I suspect will a lot of other people. So this thread is to try and resolve the situation not just for me but other users.

It is an iCloud account yes, I did say I had tried the @icloud and @me.com addresses. This doesn't happen on any other email account I have set up, which includes and Exchange account and Gmail.

Perhaps you should just not reply on this thread vdub as you seem to be of no help to anybody. We are not complaining about Apple, just wanted assistance from others who are experiencing this problem.

Jan 13, 2014 6:14 AM in response to AdamGT80

In your own words "Apple won't help me because I don't have an applecare plan. Surely they should support the email service they offer without a care plan?".

Then later....

AdamGT80 wrote:

Being a fairly intelligent person, I can deduce that as there is no obvious fix from my first call with them, which they did free of charge; and from the numerous discussions around the internet on this matter, they are not likely to be able to help. Therefore I won't be spending any money with them on support.

So they do offer support. They even spoke to you on the phone. Get the facts correct.

As for the actual issue, I do not use my iCloud account for sending emails but I've not experienced any issues with my other email accounts. Do you have other email accounts setup on the device? If so, do they experience the same issue?

It's very likely the issue is not the device or iOS but rather the iCloud account itself.

Jan 15, 2014 9:17 PM in response to Joe Peanut

I searched threads for disappearing emails there were lots to choose from but this thread sounded closest to my issue. Here's what happened in my case:

Send email from Mail.app on my laptop.

Mail send sound happens.

Curved arrow appears indicating that there is a reply attached to the original.

Click on the curved arrow message says:

"Mail was unable to find your reply to the message “Original email title here”. You may have deleted the message."

I had however not deleted the message it happened instantly after I sent. The message just failed to show up in my sent box. So, I wondered if the message was in the sent on my iOS7 ipod where the email account also exists for when I am on the road. So, I picked up my iPod (gen 5) and selected down to the sent box from the mail.app there. The other messages that the laptop reported were possibly deleted were there. The latest one was not but when I pulled down on the list to refresh it appeared.

Bottom line the messages go to the iOS7 app but not to the OS 10.9.1 Mail version on my laptop. Go figure...

End of report. Sorry if I am wasting anyone's time. Previous posts have me feeling self conscious.

Feb 10, 2014 3:30 AM in response to Joe Peanut

Hi,

I've been having this problem for months and have been keeping an eye on the forums to see if there is a true fix.

A lot of people seem to say remove all your email setting and start again and it will work, but I think this doesn't work in the long term.

After months of battling with it I think the issue may be down to having two accounts on the device and turning one of them on and off from time to time. So I have personal and work email accounts on my phone and on weekends I turn off my work emails but since ios7 this often means emails will look like they send but don't actually go anywhere.

My workaround is to do the following:

1) Set your email to BCC yourself - that way if you don't immediately get the email you sent you know the issue is happening again (I used to hunt through my sent items which was a hassle)

2) Every time you turn one of your email accounts on or off remember to restart the mail app (ie kill it but double clicking the home button and swiping the mail app up).

This seems to work most of the time but is a hassle. It would be nice for Apple to acknowledge the issue and do something about it. If its still happening by the time I refresh my phone it is highly likely I will finally move from apple and go to Samsung.

Hope this is useful.

Feb 27, 2014 12:50 PM in response to 262bhp

- 262bhp - I fully agree with you -

I have 3 email accounts on my phone - 2 work and a social one. I turn on and off the work ones(never the social one!!) depending on whether I want to receive emails or not. Whenever I turn off my exchange account I get the problem we have been describing of disappearing emails with no warning. When I reboot the phone it is then fine until such time as I turn on exchange email again , use it for a while and then turn it off - and then I have the problem.

So, not sure of the fix yet but I believe that is what is happening with my phone. I would be VERY intereted to know if anyone else has the same problem - please post !!

thanks

"Sent" emails disappearing into the void:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.