Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does one clean a retina display

I tried everything. Distilled and plain water leaves streaks and smudges. Its not a big deal, But what is the best way to clean a retina screen without leaving what seems to look like oily streaks?

MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 15-INCH, LATE 2013)

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 8:26 AM

Cleaning Apple products:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226

16 replies

Nov 7, 2014 2:09 PM in response to peter915

I used LCD screen cleaner liquid with micro-fibre cloth and something in it ruined my screen 😟 Or maybe I just rubbed too hard. Some areas look like the outer coating has just rubbed off, it looks horrible. Hope I can prevent further damage with using just water and not pressing so hard.

Oct 17, 2015 1:05 PM in response to Klaus1

Klaus1, the Apple support page on cleaning is utterly useless. All it says is to use a microfiber cloth. It gives no recommendation whatsoever as to what cleaning solution is best. It's even humorous because it repeats the same non-info for each Apple product individually.

Question is can ordinary water really help with grease-like smudges or that white build up?

Oct 17, 2015 1:22 PM in response to jdiamond

jdiamond wrote:

Klaus1, the Apple support page on cleaning is utterly useless. All it says is to use a microfiber cloth. It gives no recommendation whatsoever as to what cleaning solution is best. It's even humorous because it repeats the same non-info for each Apple product individually.

Question is can ordinary water really help with grease-like smudges or that white build up?

I think the link provided by Klaus1 is very clear. In addition to other things it says "Keep liquids away from the product." I think "cleaning solutions" and "water" would fall into the category of liquids.

Learn how to clean your Mac notebook computer.

MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air

When cleaning the outside of your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air, first shut down your computer and unplug the power adapter. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the computer's exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer. Don't use aerosol sprays, solvents, abrasives, or cleaners containing hydrogen peroxide that might damage the finish.

To clean the screen on your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air, first shut down the computer and unplug the power adapter. Dampen a soft, lint-free cloth with water only, then use it to clean the computer's screen.

Important: The bottom case of the MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) and MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010) uses a soft nonslip material. Use a 3M Gray Microfiber or soft dye-free, lint-free cloth to clean the bottom case.

Oct 17, 2015 2:36 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I don't see anywhere in the text you copied where it says "Keep liquids away from the product." It seems to only talk about the obvious point of not getting liquids inside the computer. Then it gives the ominous warning: "Don't use aerosol sprays, solvents, abrasives, or cleaners containing hydrogen peroxide that might damage the finish", without being kind enough to say which ones we *could* use, or even if we should use water.

I'm honestly not trying to nit pick here - I just don't see any recommendation at all of what to use to clean your screen. Just some very vague warnings that certain classes of fluids might damage your screen - but seriously, look at this list: solvents? abrasives? hydrogen peroxide? even aerosol sprays? Maybe some people are that naive as to use furniture polish, but I'd like to see a concrete recommendation within the realm of plausible cleaners.

In short, this page is far more high level than that. It might as well say, "be sure to only use a cleaning solution that won't damage your screen."

Oct 17, 2015 3:05 PM in response to jdiamond

every manufacturer ever says do not allow near liquids.

you want to get the screen moist (like mouth-steam moist, or a mostly-dry sponge) and then vigourously POLISH the screen with a soft cloth. think of it more like spectacle glasses then a LCD.

to clean the outside of anything electronic, use 90% alcohol and papertowel, this will remove all oils and adhesives, it will also completely evaporate quickly.

Oct 17, 2015 3:32 PM in response to peter915

peter915 Dec 3, 2013 8:00 AM

I tried everything. Distilled and plain water leaves streaks and smudges. Its not a big deal, But what is the best way to clean a retina screen without leaving what seems to look like oily streaks?

MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 15-INCH, LATE 2013)

There is a word of caution wearing off the anti-reflective coating on Retina MacBook Pros.

You can find more info if you google "Staingate"

How does one clean a retina display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.