Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QTVR ???

I have watched a number of QTVR clips - impressive. I will be doing a presentation in an area w/o internet connection and need to know what is required to download some of the clips and play them with FULL QTVR FUNCTIONALITY - pan left / right - up / down - zoom in / out. I have been able to save the clips as QT movies but the other functionality is not there - it is just a movie. What software am I missing and what do I need to do to have the functionality I am after?

Thanks much !

Quad G5, FPiMac 1.25, Mac Mini 1.66, Ti PB 400, Indigo Clam 366, iPod Video, Mac OS X (10.4.6), Canon 20D DSLR, i9900

Posted on Jul 16, 2006 12:57 PM

10 replies

Jul 16, 2006 4:40 PM in response to Rick Bolton

I have been able to save the clips as QT movies but the other functionality is not there - it is just a movie. What software am I missing and what do I need to do to have the functionality I am after?

Just attempted to save my own first QTVR movie as anything other than an interactive QTVR movie (both from QTPlayer and QT browser plug-in) and been unsuccessful in doing so. Wondered if you could provide additional details as to how you saved your file(s) or provide a link to one of the online source files you used.

If you are trying to save a "tour-like" extraction from a QTVR movie (i.e., non-interactive, "standard" QT movie), then you need additional software like QTVR2MOV, CubicNavigator, etc. to create the programmed "tour" path to be followed during the viewing process.

User uploaded file

Jul 16, 2006 6:03 PM in response to Jon Walker

Jon - it has been awhile but I think I did it with QT Pro which allows you to capture video streams. It plays as a movie but no pan or zoom function when playing it from my hard drive as opposed to the streaming QTVR. One of my biggest issues is getting started on one part of my project and then pulling myself off to another more content or flow related effort and then forgetting what little I had learned about the technical portion. I guess that is just the life of a two person corporation.

Jul 16, 2006 6:59 PM in response to Rick Bolton

Jon - it has been awhile but I think I did it with QT Pro which allows you to capture video streams.

QT Pro cannot save save real streamed media so I would assume it was either a standard "quick start" movie or it was a "screen captured" stream which is now a standard movie file. In either case, it would not be a QTVR.

On the other hand, if the original file was a real download QTVR movie, there is the possibility that someone may have changed the controller type and re-saved the movie somehow. (This may be what the other responder was referring to earlier.) To determine just what kind of a movie you have, open the "Show Movie Properties" window. You should file five lines -- the "main" track (top line with no "enable" box), QT VR Track (should be "enabled"), a VR Panorama Track (also enabled), a Video Track 1 (disabled), and a Video Track 2 (also disabled). If any of the four tracks are incorrectly enabled/disabled, then correct them. (E.g., if Video Track 2 is enabled, it appears the display is a split still with controls deactivated.) If all is well at this point, highlight the "main" track and select the "Presentation" tab in the lower portion of the window. If the "Movie Controller" or "None Movie Controller" is selected in the Controller Type pop-up, then select "QTVR Movie Controller" and see if QTVR functionality is restored. (Not sure what the differences are between the QTVR 1.0 Panorama, QTVR Movie, and QTVR 1.0 Object controllers, but since QTVR Movie was my original type, I use it.)

In any case, you can check this out and see if it helps things at all.

User uploaded file

Jul 17, 2006 6:27 AM in response to Rick Bolton

Rick,

Just a quick follow-up: Downloaded a few QTVR samples from the internet. It appears the number of "Video Tracks" may vary with the software used to create the movie. So don't panic if only one such track is present. I am using PTMac to make mine and it generates an "extra" (?) track. In any case, you should have at least one "Video Track" which will be where the bulk of the data resides.

User uploaded file

Jul 18, 2006 5:35 AM in response to Rick Bolton

The QTVR plays as a movie w/o the normal QTVR controls.

Since a QTVR will not "play" like a normal movie even when the controller is changed from "QTVR Movie Controller" to "Movie Controller," I would assume someone at some time convertered the base QTVR to a regular movie (i.e., a "movie tour") using one of the applications I mentioned above or something similar. (Wonder if Keynote has the ability to so change a QTVR to a regular movie when added to a presentation.)

To double check this, here is one of my own QTVRs for comparison: http://homepage.mac.com/jrwalker4/.Public/Pano1.mov

User uploaded file

Jul 18, 2006 8:09 AM in response to Jon Walker

Jon - works perfectly - thanks for your extra effort.

Now - how can I download / save to hard drive with pan and zoom functions still intact - that is the real issue I am facing? Saning it as a .mov allows it to play well but w/o pan or zoom capability. Again, I will be doing some presentations w/o reliable internet connection and want to display several QTVRs.

Thanks again.

QTVR ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.