Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i remove bing from safari

hei.

I just downloaded Gimp 2.8 on my mac, but it wasn't from the original website.

now i have bing as a searchengine in safari, and i hate it.

every time i want to search on anything in the URLbar it goes to Bing, instead of google, as it did before.

can you please help me

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 7:39 AM

10 replies

Dec 3, 2013 7:48 AM in response to martinstenbaek

Check Safari - Preferences - Extensions & remove any that you didn't knowingly install & trust.

Also see Safari - Preferences - General & if needed, change the Default Search Engine back to Google.

That may not change anything - but the instructions at How to replace Bing and get Google back...: or Removal Guide : Genieo should take care of it.

Where did you get this ddownload from ?.

Dec 28, 2013 5:51 AM in response to Linc Davis

Dear Linc

in the first place, please excuse my English, it´s not my main language.

I´m very desperate as I have now visited already since yesterday for hours a lot of different help-sites and communities to solve the BING-Problem :it appears in my Safari 5 everytime I start a search in the toolbar on the top right, even if Google is always active/marked!

have done all the normal steps several times:

in the toolbar>> Google is choosen, always. Still Bing shows up immediatly!

"Check Safari - Preferences - Extensions & remove any that you didn't knowingly install & trust"

>> there is no Bing extension, I only have AdBlock 2.6.17 and Ghostery there, directly from the Safari-extensions-Apple-website, so I think they are safe, aren´t they?.

"Also see Safari - Preferences - General & if needed, change the Default Search Engine back to Google."

>> also there it´s always "Google" which ist chosen, never Bing.

So as you also refer to some other member here that they have installed/downloaded malware,

I´m wondering now if it happened to me too?

Do you have any idea how I can uninstall Bing completly? (I´m still working with snow leopard as I had 2 times problems installing mountain lion:-(...)

Thank you

Mar 28, 2014 11:17 AM in response to thomas_r.

Hello Thomas

I have visited this site for instructions:

http://www.thesafemac.com/arg-genieo/

but first I can´t find "/private/etc/launchd.conf"

and I also can´t find "genieo" in my system,

so the "BING" searchengine is probably hidden somewhere else?

Mostly I really have a hard time to understand all of it because english isn´t my "home"...

Thanks for help;-)

Ivana

Mar 29, 2014 2:52 AM in response to ivana-m

If you're having a hard time understanding those directions, don't continue to try. That could be dangerous, as a misunderstanding could cause some problems. You'll need to find someone who can read English better who can help you with this.

As far as I am aware, InstallMac (which is a variant of Genieo) is the only adware abusing Bing in this way. So you really need to follow those instructions somehow.

Sep 27, 2015 12:03 AM in response to SolarBeenleigh

I have just managed to get rid of Bing... I have no idea how I did it. It was not in my extentions, in any of my applications, files anywhere. Bing was not ticked as my search engine.

I ticked and unticked a lot of things, re started my computer a few times - and suddenly Bing was gone, at least for now.

If somebody can let me know if there is any way to protect myself from similar stress in the future, I will be grateful.

I had a similar story last year, and I used the steps advised by somebody, probably, Linc, by the sound of that. It worked last year, but this year it was all different, and I can't put my finger to it: what was wrong and how I fixed it.

how do i remove bing from safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.