Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Community!: Anyone know how to default down to Iris Pro (vs discrete 750M)

Just got the new rMBP w/ incredible 1GB Intel Iris Pro 5200 onboard graphics (w/ baller discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB)

Context:

Although there is a way to default UP (only use 750M) by going to:

Energy Saver --> Automatic graphics switching (unchecked)

My question is: is there a way to default DOWN -

Since the rMBP Range now starts with Iris Pro Only in Base Model; which provides massive battery life - I am frustrated

with the fact that when I open most videos to watch as I'm working (no additional monitors), the computer Auto Switches

UP to the 750M when clearly Iris Pro can handle video processing - cutting the battery time to half (4 hours) - same with other

use cases, such as: plugging in HDMI for broadcast - obviously Iris Pro can also handle - though this may be a stretch....

any boffins know a command or some sort of " work around " (not hack, but 'workaround') lol to default Graphics Switching DOWN?

Many Thanks!

-Dre

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Late 2013 Model

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 8:34 AM

2 replies

Dec 3, 2013 5:31 PM in response to andrestb

apple experts: this is becoming more of an issue as "light" programs like google earth also autmatically switches to High Performance Graphics ......

To me, this machines graphic switching is behaving like the predecessor - as if it had a Intel HD 4000 onboard graphics, and is not optimised to take full advantage of the new powerful GPU Intel Iris Pro...... most things should default to IRIS PRO instead of GT 750M .....

I will log a ticket with support...... let me know if anyone as any updates......

Community!: Anyone know how to default down to Iris Pro (vs discrete 750M)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.