Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I Need 2 Speakers to get Stereo With Mac Mini?

I have been looking for speaker/s for my Mac Mini, to get better sound for my music. I keep seeing single speakers on sale for iPhones/iPads, etc. Will a single speaker give my Mac Mini stereo? If not, how can I hook up two speakers to plug into the single hole? (No, scratch that last bit, I do understand wiring, so if I need to, I can do it.) Would the best choice be Wired/Bluetooth/Wireless? How has stereo changed to a single wire in my lifetime? Will the single speaker give me that full glorious happiness? I remember the joy of cranking my Dad's stereo up until the neighbors called to ask why our chimney was shaking?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Samsung Display

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 9:02 AM

The audio on the Mac Mini is mini-Toslink headphone jack compatible with the smaller of the connectors on this cord. This means with the right speakers you can get 5.1 audio on the Mac Mini. Logitech Z-680 are really good. Toslink and SPDIF and DTS compatible speaker systems are the ones you should look for. Ones that only have 3.1 sound are difficult to adapt to. Using standard RCA minijack stereo connectors will work only if the speakers are amplified. The Mac Mini has its own built-in small stereo speakers which work when the headphone jack is not in use. Stereo implies two.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2013 9:02 AM in response to LINDA CATE

The audio on the Mac Mini is mini-Toslink headphone jack compatible with the smaller of the connectors on this cord. This means with the right speakers you can get 5.1 audio on the Mac Mini. Logitech Z-680 are really good. Toslink and SPDIF and DTS compatible speaker systems are the ones you should look for. Ones that only have 3.1 sound are difficult to adapt to. Using standard RCA minijack stereo connectors will work only if the speakers are amplified. The Mac Mini has its own built-in small stereo speakers which work when the headphone jack is not in use. Stereo implies two.

Do I Need 2 Speakers to get Stereo With Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.