Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Can't I create an account without using a credit card? VPP

Trying to use VPP with MDM using mavericks server.

In order to deploy apps in the corporation each user has to have their own app store account. I do not want each user to have to put in their credit card information. Or any company card. I want to be able to deploy the apps we purchase on the company level.

This article says how to do this, but it DOES NOT work. There is no None option that appears after installing a "free" app.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Why require a credit card for the VPP program users at all? What if I were using this to deploy IPADS in a school setting, would all the 10 year olds be required to put in a credit card?

If there is another way around this, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 9:20 AM

9 replies

Dec 4, 2013 9:00 AM in response to JSANGS

I have the same problem in that I need to get apps to over 150 staff and student users and I don't want them entering their credit card details - funnily enough my 9 year old students don't have one :-)

However, you CAN set up apple ids with no credit card information, but you have to do it on a PC or Mac (see KB article here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534)

The only snag with this, is that when you set up your MDM (I'm running OS X Server Profile Manager on Mavericks through a MacBook Pro) when you invite devices to enrol in VPP, the user has to enter their Apple ID info. Which in itself is not an issue, BUT, if there is no credit card on file, profile manager will only push FREE apps bought via VPP Managed Distribution (token - not codes) UNLESS there is a credit card on file. I've also tested this with Meraki and have the same issue. This is a major flaw with the VPP Token using Managed Distribution rather than redeemable codes, because technically your VPP enrolled users are receiving paid apps free, as their organisation bought them, so why the need for credit cards. I suspect the problem arises in that a MD app via VPP is still technically 'paid'.

I imagine when more users move to VPP Token for managed distribution, Apple will sort. In the meantime it's a pain :-(

Dec 4, 2013 9:09 AM in response to MrsStephenson

That is the same article I tried using myself. which was of no use. The users get propmted for a credit card every time. There is no "none" option.

Thanks for trying though.

I havent been able to get far enough to even confirm what you are saying about the free vs paid apps. We are only trying to deploy apps through MDM, not using codes.

I may have to resort to buying a prepaid credit card and using that to create the accounts.

Dec 4, 2013 11:05 AM in response to JSANGS

Can I just check something - you already have an Apple ID, is that correct? Are you wanting to add or remove credit card info? I read your post as wanting to be able to create a new Apple ID without credit card info. Apologies if I've misunderstood.

The following may help:

You can install iTunes on a PC (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs) then to install a free app on , you are basically just downloading it (like you do in iTunes on Mac - not to be confused with App Store)

To do this browse the App Store in iTunes, choose a free one, then when the app information window opens up, click on the free button again. This should then allow you to enter your Apple ID (if you have one) or set up a new one.

If you already have an Apple ID To edit your payment info, log in to iTunes on PC, then click on your account name, top left, it will ask you for password again, then click on edit next to payment info.

Hope this helps.

Dec 4, 2013 11:26 AM in response to MrsStephenson

I am trying to give my users ipads, that we control. while purchasing apps that the users will use while retaining ownership of said apps by the company using the vpp program.

In testing I have found that if a user has an apple ID created already, they cannot use the VPP program unless we create a brand new ID from scratch using the method outlined in the article you mentioned.

I do NOT want to have to create a new apple ID for every user I may come across, I do not want to have to add additional email addresses to each users mailbox to accomodate this. I want the apple ID's we do have to create to be standard, and I want no credit card associated with said ID.

For users that already have an apple ID I am trying to figure out if there is ANY way to get them into the program without adding a credit card.

I tunes is not an allowed app on our corporate network. This is the only MAC in our office, strictly for deploying and controlling iPADS. Ive only been using this for less than two weeks.

Using a previously created apple ID, on a windows computer using Itunes, signing in to itunes tells you, this apple id has not been used with itunes before. it prompts you to put in a credit card, there is no option for none.

I'm sorry if this comes across bluntly. Requiring a credit card seems to be a requirement that does not make any sense. Considering the vpp program is specifically for a higher entity, be it a school, a corporation, etc. to be able to buy the apps resident on the devices.

Dec 4, 2013 2:26 PM in response to JSANGS

I understand where you're coming from a bit better now. I'm not a techy by the way, just a primary school teacher who has been trYing to sort this out all week whilst still teaching full time. I'd had no prior exp of using a mac, or MDM servers until last week, either. I completely share your frustration.

You CAN enrol them on the programme with their existing apple id.

Using your MDM (I use profile manager so this will only make sense if you're using the same) you can add a user to OS X server. This user will now show up in profile manager.

Once this user has been added (just a username and password will do) tell the user to use their iOS device to visit your server name in Safari e.g. mymdmserver.local/mydevices

This will allow them to 'enrol' the device. Then get them to click on profiles and download the trust certificate and any other settings that appear there (ones you have created)

Once the device is enrolled, if you go to the groups section in profile manager, you can select everyone. Select the about tab then go down to VPP Enrolment then select 'send invitation to devices' - this way you don't have to send emails. now, provided your user has enrolled, they should get a box pop up on iOS device saying they've been invited for your organisation to send apps etc. this will ask them to sign into their own iTunes account. This now enrols that account with the VPP programme.

get the user to check they have automatic downloads turned on in their settings. Once all this has been done you should be able to push the apps from profile manager as long as you have added your VPP token to the OS X server profile manager section (not the web bit)

Add all the apps to a user or group in profile manager (web portal) then push. (Then you might experience the problems me and other forum users are experiencing regarding free vs paid, but a couple of tickets have been opened now and Apple are investigating) but your devices will at least be linked to your VPP account.

Now, what we had to do was add all permutations of the Apple iTunes Store to an allowed 'site' otherwise it WOULD NOT work. You could always ask them to just add specific device mac addresses eg, that of the Mac and those of the iPads to access the iTunes Store (and it's many many different addresses!) Might be one you have to fight out with your IT techs as the server and the devices will only be able to download when your server is running, which I presume will be in your building unless linked to your active directory and network.

And if this doesn't help, then I give up :-S

Dec 5, 2013 6:25 AM in response to MrsStephenson

Thank you for your assistance.

I am a tech myself. Everything with enrolling has been working well, up until the part where the user has to put in the credit card.

Coming from a shop that doesnt use any Macs at all, getting used to the way Apple operates has been the most difficult part of the process.

I know Apple want to make it easy for them to make money by tying in the credit cards for impulse purchases at the store, but for corporate and school use it feels a bit backwards to have this requirement.

Since these are devices we are handing out in IT, we'd rather the users of the devices not put their own software or app store accounts on the ipads. They are for specific purposes, not just everyday use.

Thank you again. If I find any more info in the future I will update this topic.

Why Can't I create an account without using a credit card? VPP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.