Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

multiple iphones each with an apple id - can i use the same laptop and itunes for back up, restore and updates?

We have two iphones each with a different apple id - can i use the same laptop and itunes for back up, restore and updates without risking having my apps overwritten. Basically does itunes keep the two iphones as two separate entities ? Does iTunes differentiate between the two devices and keep two different SYNCs ?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.1.3, other iphone currently 4.3.1

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 11:57 AM

Yes, you can use the same computer for BACK UPS, RESTORING AND UPDATING. But that is it.

You cannot, however, use it to sync the different devices. iTunes will only recognize one device to sync with and if you sync any other devices with that iTunes library, it will replace what is on the phone with whatever is in the library. It cannot differentiate between devices. At most, it will jsut recognize that the phone has been synced with a different iTunes library.

So if you would like to use the same computer for backing up, restoring and updating, just make sure to turn of Automatic Syncing in your iTunes Preferences. 🙂

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2013 11:57 AM in response to mummygeek

Yes, you can use the same computer for BACK UPS, RESTORING AND UPDATING. But that is it.

You cannot, however, use it to sync the different devices. iTunes will only recognize one device to sync with and if you sync any other devices with that iTunes library, it will replace what is on the phone with whatever is in the library. It cannot differentiate between devices. At most, it will jsut recognize that the phone has been synced with a different iTunes library.

So if you would like to use the same computer for backing up, restoring and updating, just make sure to turn of Automatic Syncing in your iTunes Preferences. 🙂

multiple iphones each with an apple id - can i use the same laptop and itunes for back up, restore and updates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.