Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple iOS 7 app auto updates and supervised devices

I'm in the process of deploying a small number of iPads to our internal users, we had a question around automatic app updates in iOS 7. It would be nice if these devices were able to pull app updates down and install them automatically, but there are 2 problems with this for us. The first is that an itunes account was used to aquire a few free apps, these apps were then installed via configurator, but we will not be signing in to this account on the device. Default behavior unless a supervised iPad is plugged into itunes or signed in manually is to leave the apple id field blank, will updates install without an apple id on the device? Also, if a user signs in to there perosnal apple id will automatic updates download for an app downloaded with a different apple id? Second, were removing the app store from the device, but allowing apps to be installed. This should in theory allow updates to be installed automatically on the device, however we are unsure if this is the case. Does the app store need to be enabled for the device to check in? or does automatic updating happen regardless?

Apple Configurator & iPad Air-OTHER, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 12:17 PM

I contacted apple support on the matter, they informed me that even without an apple id signed in to the device, auto OTA updates should still occur. If however, a user signs into the device with a different apple id, any auto updates wont apply. This seems a little too good to be true, but its so difficult to test ill simply take apples word for it at the moment. If i cannot get automatic updates after testing ill check back and update this post.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2013 12:17 PM in response to theAntioch

I contacted apple support on the matter, they informed me that even without an apple id signed in to the device, auto OTA updates should still occur. If however, a user signs into the device with a different apple id, any auto updates wont apply. This seems a little too good to be true, but its so difficult to test ill simply take apples word for it at the moment. If i cannot get automatic updates after testing ill check back and update this post.

Dec 6, 2013 9:36 AM in response to theAntioch

I can now confirm the apple technician was incorrect. Auto updates WILL NOT install on a device that does not have an apple id signed into it. I've done as much testing as I could with and without signing in and none of the multiple devices I have will automatically download updates until I sign in to the account the app was purchased under. Ultimately this is new for apple, and in addition to that this scenario is faced by very few customers managing these devices So i understand getting this information incorrect. This post is more or less a warning to anyone managing supervised ipads where applications are being installed and no apple id associated with the device, dont rely on automatic updates to keep your apps up to date; you will either have to sign into the ipad and turn on automatic updating, or manually install each update via configurator when they are released.

Apple iOS 7 app auto updates and supervised devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.