Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using 2 Airport Extremes to create two Wireless Networks with one modem on Comcast?

I have a Comcast account with DHCP, my moden is hardwired to a 5 port TP Link switcher and from the switcher I have a hard line going upstairs to a 3rd floor Airport Extreme which I want to set up a separate wireless network. At the same time from the siwtcher I have a hard line going downstairs to a 1st floor Airport Extreme which I want to set up as a separate network.

Issuse is that I am competing and can ONLY get 1 active internet connection per airport extreme. It does not allow a internet connection to go to both units simulatenously.

I have tried settings but can not get it to provide a green internet connection to both Airport Extremes at the same time with active connections to the internet.

Any help?

Airport Extreme-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 12:24 PM

5 replies

Dec 3, 2013 12:40 PM in response to jobyh

This modem will only deliver one Internet IP address.

So, if you connect a switch to the modem and then connect devices to the switch, it will be a matter of chance as to which device gets the one valid IP address. Other devices will not be able to connect to the Internet.

Your network currently looks like this:

Internet > Modem > Switch > Devices

Your network needs to look like this:

Internet > Modem > Router (AirPort Express) > Switch > Other AirPorts and devices

Using 2 Airport Extremes to create two Wireless Networks with one modem on Comcast?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.