Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to select multiple emails and delete on an iPad

How can you select multiple emails and then delete? Mailboxes fill up fast and deleting individual emails is a slow process when using multiple devices for the same email account.

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 7:36 PM

I'm a little confused, as well. Quite a few emails have accumulated in my several email boxes in Mail.

Mail is read. I press, "Edit," and there's a long list of emails; the only option (in blue) is "Mark All." When I tap that, I have to options, "Flag" and "Mark as Unread." There's no option to select a large amount of emails, unless I select them one by one.

I don't want to choose them one by one. I want to get rid of a bunch all at once. Any way to do this?

I'm kind of surprised I can't do this.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2013 7:36 PM in response to Skydiver119

I'm a little confused, as well. Quite a few emails have accumulated in my several email boxes in Mail.

Mail is read. I press, "Edit," and there's a long list of emails; the only option (in blue) is "Mark All." When I tap that, I have to options, "Flag" and "Mark as Unread." There's no option to select a large amount of emails, unless I select them one by one.

I don't want to choose them one by one. I want to get rid of a bunch all at once. Any way to do this?

I'm kind of surprised I can't do this.

Jan 3, 2014 12:09 PM in response to poikkeus1

First of all, if you use select all, you can then unselect the ones you want to keep. But, no, you cannot select a group of ten consecutive emails. But with the Edit function selecting them one by one is not so hard.

As to whether the Trash option appears at the bottom of the Edit screen - it depends on the mailbox. What mailbox are you trying to delete from?

May 2, 2017 7:40 AM in response to Pcaine1

I just figured this out so I'm sharing even though this thread is ancient;

Go to All Mail > Edit > Select the first email on the list > press AND HOLD "Move", simultaneously, unselect the first mail again > Release all fingers from device > You will now be on a screen that has ALL email selected and you can press Trash to delete them all! WOOO!

Feb 20, 2014 9:17 PM in response to Pcaine1

Ladies and Gentlemen,

there is a very effective way to do this and when you see it through, it will be a Eureka moment...you guys ready?

http://http://youtu.be/LbIP6EbndvA

this is a safe link to a youtube video and yes it work on the new OS7 as well. I recently deleited 12,428 emails i had on a runaway yahoo account.

Good luck and enjoy your "Eureka" moment

Savannahstang66

Mar 23, 2014 7:13 AM in response to Pcaine1

Hello I have a MacPro Book (2013) I can use this feature by selecting the first email you would like to delete, hold down the shift key, then select the last email you would like to delete. This should then high light/select all the other email inbetween. Drag to trash or hold down the control key and click select delete.

Someone please post if you did not know how to do this and this worked for you. This is my first time posting on the boards being able to help. I'm always getting help from this community so it feels good to be able to help.

🙂

Mar 23, 2014 1:27 PM in response to Lpayton333

Hi Lpayton333,

Welcome to the joys of answering in Apple Support Communities.

I agree that it feels good to be able to help, so keep it up!

When helping you need to be aware of what device the person is talking about. In this case the question was referring to the iPad, and was posted to the iPad support community. iPads don't work the same way as desktops or laptops in terms of selecting large numbers of things. For one thing there isn't a shift key to hold down.

I hope you will continue to answer questions.

How to select multiple emails and delete on an iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.