Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rebuilt for a new age

Hey guys, I'm back and this time I'm wondering if there is a way to upgrade my PowerMac G4 completely. I love the look of the old PowerMac tower but it's no longer powerful enough to handle anything major by today's standards. So my question is: is there any way to strip out the old components and rebuild a new computer inside an old tower? Has anybody out there done this before? I want this guy to handle everything a new Mac can handle I.e bootcamp, games, word processing, newer versions of Mac OSX, etc. Any ideas?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G4 Dual1.25ghz

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 5:59 PM

Anything can be done with enough time and money. A Mac mini would work fine in that spacious case. Anything else will exercize your frustration. You could invest $10,000 in a comptuer that, when done, is worth $500 unless you find a kindred spirit.

Your best way to learn about such things is to google "mac mods." You may find someone who can help.

Unfortunately, I've run into very few modders here in ~13 years of participating here. The modding community is small but seems to be quite active.

Good Luck with your quest!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2013 5:59 PM in response to DuncanAT34

Anything can be done with enough time and money. A Mac mini would work fine in that spacious case. Anything else will exercize your frustration. You could invest $10,000 in a comptuer that, when done, is worth $500 unless you find a kindred spirit.

Your best way to learn about such things is to google "mac mods." You may find someone who can help.

Unfortunately, I've run into very few modders here in ~13 years of participating here. The modding community is small but seems to be quite active.

Good Luck with your quest!

Rebuilt for a new age

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.