Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new macpro Hdd

I hate to start a thread just for this. But am I reading the website properly when it says that the New Mac Pro "garbage Can" design can only hold 1 TB of Hdd space? That cant be right...

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 4:26 PM

Sorry, No. It is much different from that. Depending on who are are talking to, it is much better or much worse.

The Mac Pro comes with an SSD with the system on it. It is a proprietary drive that sits on the PCIe Bus. It takes up the ONLY slot. That is the only drive that it accepts internally. There are no aftermarket replacements for that drive at this writing.

All other storage must use Thunderbolt or adapters such as these:

ThunderBolt enclosure, single drive

ThunderBolt enclosure, Multi-drive

ThunderBolt enclosure with DVD/BluRay and Drive

USB-3 enclosure

FireWire via ThunderBolt to FireWire

eSATA via ThunderBolt to eSATA

NAS via Ethernet

Others I have not considered

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2013 4:26 PM in response to Damballa

Sorry, No. It is much different from that. Depending on who are are talking to, it is much better or much worse.

The Mac Pro comes with an SSD with the system on it. It is a proprietary drive that sits on the PCIe Bus. It takes up the ONLY slot. That is the only drive that it accepts internally. There are no aftermarket replacements for that drive at this writing.

All other storage must use Thunderbolt or adapters such as these:

ThunderBolt enclosure, single drive

ThunderBolt enclosure, Multi-drive

ThunderBolt enclosure with DVD/BluRay and Drive

USB-3 enclosure

FireWire via ThunderBolt to FireWire

eSATA via ThunderBolt to eSATA

NAS via Ethernet

Others I have not considered

Dec 3, 2013 5:08 PM in response to Damballa

Well, Optical Drive has been removed from inside the cabinet as well.

The argumenst FOR this approach are that you now buy the set of drive enclosure(s) suited to your work, rather than being stuck with the four built-in, and all others being more difficult.

One of the biggest plusses is that cooling the central Core is no longer an issue. It comes with two GPUs that throw off so much heat they would melt the aluminum of the tall tower, but that great huge heatsink and the axial fan takes care of it.

Dec 4, 2013 1:57 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

That is also another dumb idea... (not yours... Apples'). So if I buy a new Mac Pro its gonna be the size of one of my desktop speakers. And then Im gonna probably need a hard drive enclosure and probably a blu-ray drive enclosure. So now I'll have 3 expensive little things sitting on my desktop just waiting for someone to come along and snag a cord or something and BAM!!! there goes 4-5000 dollars...

Its starting to sound like a good idea to me...

new macpro Hdd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.