Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you restore an external drive using Time Machine

I have my media libraries (iphoto, imovie, itunes) on a separate external drive connected to my mac. They are being backed up to another HD through my time machine backups. However, should my media external drive fail, is it even possible to restore the files to a replacement external HD using time machine? Would it be better to partition my time machine external drive and use half for time machine and the other half to manually copy/backup my external medial HD?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.66 GHz

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 4:14 PM

4 replies

Dec 3, 2013 5:54 PM in response to Cumby

Cumby

Would it be better to partition my time machine external drive and use half for time machine and the other half to manually copy/backup my external medial HD?

Bad idea, thats putting everything in once place. Worst premise for data protection

Methodology to protect your data. Backups vs. Archives. Long-term data protection

Everything is about 1. redundancy, 2. redundancy and 3. multiple storage platforms (DVD, multiple HD, online server archives ala a personal website etc.)

The first realization is that your data on your computer is highly vulnerable

The second realization is that you need a HD backup of your OS and data

The third realization is that you need at the very least a secondary HD backup

The fourth and final realization is understanding the fragility of any and all HD & ferromagnetic storage, and that vital data needs to be “frozen” on unassailable redundancies across multiple storage platforms including multiple HD, online backup, archival DVD burns comprising at the very minimum triple platform redundancy of data you have been working on for years or decades that cannot be replaced.

The B.A.R. “rule” (backup-archive-redundancy)

Backup: Active data emergency restore. Backups are moved from backups to archives; or from backups to the computer for restore or data retrieval.

Archive: Active and static data protection with the highest level of redundancy. Archives are only moved from itself to itself (archived copies). Generally a “long-term retention” nexus.

Redundancy: A fail-safe off-site or protected and “frozen” copy of your vital data and foolproof protection against magnetic degradation and HD mechanical failure. A likewise failsafe from theft, house fire, etc.

Redundancy has two points of premise:

A: redundancy (copies) of data archives.

B: redundancy of data on different platforms (optical, online, magneto-optical, HD).

Send your backups to your archives (as often as possible), and your archives to self-same redundancies.

*When referring to backups and archives here, this is in reference to your data saved/ created/ working on,... not your OS, your applications, and your system information / settings,...which is the idealized premise for use of Time Machine as a system-backup after internal data corruption or HD-failure.

Here we are referring to data backups and archives, not system-backups for restoring your OS-system.

If your data on your hard drive is the cash in your wallet, a backup is your bank account/debit card, and an archive is a locked safety deposit box.

Its easy to get your wallet emptied (corrupted) or stolen, your backup checking account is somewhat easy to get corrupted/drained or damaged, but your bunker security is in the lockbox inside the vault, where your vital data and archives reside. In the premise of preventing data loss, you want as often and as much as possible one-way transfers from your “wallet” to your safety deposit box archives; and further still a minimum of two copies of those archives.

Highest priority (archives) requires highest redundancy. In the premise of often copying data from backups to archives, backup redundancy plays a minor role.

Long-term active file backups (a book, a major time-involved video creation etc.) requires double-active redundancies, preferably a minimum of Time Machine and an autonomous external formatted HD, so there are at least three copies of this data: internal drive, Time Machine, and secondary non-TM HD backup.

Dec 3, 2013 6:06 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

I also have a third portable external drive that I clone both my mac and my external media drive with iphoto, imovie etc... I guess Im wondering if I should just use the time machine drive for those back ups only or take advantage of the extra space I have available on it? Its a 2 TB drive. If I can restore my library from a time machine backup to a new external drive (not sure you can?) and I also have a CCC clone of it, then that would give me 2 separate back ups.

Dec 3, 2013 6:16 PM in response to Cumby

should my media external drive fail, is it even possible to restore the files to a replacement external HD using time machine?

Not a problem. TM will let you select where to restore files to.

However it is a good idea especially in the case of media files to have multiple backups. Also keep in mind that TM does incremental backups. For things like images especially you will what to have some sort of archival backup.

regards

Can you restore an external drive using Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.