Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I dropped my iPhone 5s on CARPET and it died?

Guys, this is a sticky situation that myself nor my brother can come to. Today at approximately 1:20 p.m I dropped my iPhone 5s as it was sitting on my lap. With my headphones blasting, my iPhone diligently fell out of my lap and instantly, my music stopped. At first I thought it got unplugged, soon to find out that instead the iPhone itself just gave up and died. Now let's be clear about this, I have a pretty protective case made by Spigen. Very protective on all corners and such. It also has a tempered glass screen protector over it.

It dropped on carpet. I know right? I'm just as freakin shocked at this. I don't know how it landed on the carpet but after landing, the iPhone has failed to operate. Now I've tried to fix this by holding down the home button and power button with no crappin luck. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. It's a 5s and I'm not sure if it's still under warranty or not since we got it from Att with no insurance. I'm in Wyoming so a 4 hour drive to Denver is the closest Genius Bar which is unfortunate. Has anyone ever encountered this and if so how'd you fix it?

Oh and also when I plugged it into my computer, the phone is not being read or found. I am worried about paying for a replacement for such a stupid drop on CARPET for gods sake.

Please help folks :(.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 8:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 8:17 PM

Good job with trying the two-button reset, that would have been my first advice for you. Next, I suggest you take the reset/update a step further. This step may risk losing the data on your phone, but since it's not working already, there may be no other solution.

1. On your computer, make sure you have internet acces and the latest version of iTunes installed.
  2. Launch iTunes and connect the iPhone
  3. Press and hold both sleep/wake and home buttons
  4. After ten seconds, only release the sleep/wake button.

If you were successful, the iPhone screen should stay dark and the computer should display a popup.

If you see a message saying "iTunes has detected a device in recovery mode," then continue by clicking yes to each subsequent popup.

If the iPhone displays the silver Apple logo start over with step three of these instructions.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2013 8:17 PM in response to Itstonyyy

Good job with trying the two-button reset, that would have been my first advice for you. Next, I suggest you take the reset/update a step further. This step may risk losing the data on your phone, but since it's not working already, there may be no other solution.

1. On your computer, make sure you have internet acces and the latest version of iTunes installed.
  2. Launch iTunes and connect the iPhone
  3. Press and hold both sleep/wake and home buttons
  4. After ten seconds, only release the sleep/wake button.

If you were successful, the iPhone screen should stay dark and the computer should display a popup.

If you see a message saying "iTunes has detected a device in recovery mode," then continue by clicking yes to each subsequent popup.

If the iPhone displays the silver Apple logo start over with step three of these instructions.

Dec 4, 2013 10:00 PM in response to Itstonyyy

iPhone 5s was just released and should have a 1 year limited warranty for hardware issues. Don't mention the drop and mail it or take to apple. You will be able to verify your warranty online when you call the support line.

They will likely replace it. I got a replacement in July 2013 after my phone did the same thing. I bought it in Sep 2012 with no apple care.

If you have a 5 s and bought it in September 2013 you are likely in good shape.

Dec 5, 2013 1:04 AM in response to Itstonyyy

Apple I believe can tell if the phone has been dropped, its best to just be honest they may well say they will change it as it should have not dies on a fall like that. Lying could get you no phone and a big bill for a replacement. Applecare+ would have taken care of this if bought in the first 30days as you are covered for I think two cases of accidental damage.

I dropped my iPhone 5s on CARPET and it died?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.