Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nikon Df Raw Support, please! Anyone found a workaround?

Imported files just fine (seemingly). Thumbnails rendered in Aperture Browser view. But invoking an image brings up the nasty "Unsupported Image Format" dialog. Meh.

When a camera like this is in the works for so long, why aren't the RAW updates ready soon after they're shipping?

Okay, Apple blame Nikon.... Nikon blame Apple.... readyyyyy..... GO!

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 7:42 PM

9 replies

Dec 3, 2013 8:16 PM in response to rtbarry

Workaround is to shoot RAW+JPEG and use the JPEG files until Aperture gets support. Once there's support (I assume there will be as Nikon cameras tend to be well supported by Apple) then you can reprocess the RAW files and use them.

The camera has been out, what, a week or two? It's not like Nikon is handing production cameras to Apple and Adobe and Phase One months ahead of time for them to get RAW support out the door on day one.

Dec 3, 2013 8:51 PM in response to William Lloyd

Yeah, figured I'd have to do that workaround in the meantime. But...

"It's not like Nikon is handing production cameras to Apple and Adobe and Phase One months ahead of time for them to get RAW support out the door on day one."

Well not Day 1. I'm certainly nowhere near the front of the priority queue for Nikon gear, and I've got mine. So why not? Especially when DPReview and tons of online dooshes seem to get their hands on early production models?

The RAW file format for any shipping camera has to be Golden Master well before the hardware is mass-produced with the firmware that writes the files.

It's not like Apple or Nikon are mom&pop shops. And they kinda know about each other. 😉

Dec 8, 2013 6:29 AM in response to rtbarry

Actually, back in the day, it was an article of faith that only Capture NX could extract all of the crunchy goodness from NEF (Nikon RAW). With time, most have come to accept that the difference is merely one of contrast and saturation levels and other things that can be adjusted in Aperture. So the hot ticket was Photo Mechanic + Capture NX.

The dirty secret is that you can achieve great results with almost any software, it is merely a question of how you like to work and which features you consider most important.

I went to Aperture in 2006 and have never regretted it.

Nikon Df Raw Support, please! Anyone found a workaround?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.