Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i activate rosetta.

I dont have the installation disk but i do have it installed on my pc and its not allowing me to install Maya 2009 because the operating system is recognising it as an intel and not as a PC. I have 10.6.8 Snow Leopard but the mac is updated and goes back to 9/2010. I only have Maya 2009 because I cant afford to buy the most recent software and as far as I understand it you can install it on a Mac which has Rosetta on it. But its not installing the Maya core. The box to tick on the custom installation does not allow me to click on Maya core. I dont have the installation desk for the the Mac oeprating system software but I do see that Rosetta version 1 is installed. Do I need to update Rosetta? How would I do that?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Rosetta software is installed

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 11:08 PM

16 replies

Dec 3, 2013 11:52 PM in response to facebusk

You are not the first having problems with Maya / Rosetta. While I cannot give you an answer, I can guide your eyes to the right to 'More like this' which shows several other questions and answers on the same subject.

And while I'm at it, can I suggest this is an excellent reason for NOT getting involved with Mavericks (or even the Lion family). None of these OS's allow Rosetta to operate.

Dec 3, 2013 11:56 PM in response to facebusk

facebusk wrote:

I dont have the installation disk but i do have it installed on my pc

You mean on your windows PC? You can't install it directly on OSX - Windows and Mac programs are quite different - you would have to use 'BootCamp' or emulation such as Parallels.

'Boot Camp' creates a partition on your hard disk on which you can install Windows (you will need a Windows install disk) and boot into it to run Windows programs exactly as if you were on a PC.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1461

Dec 4, 2013 6:47 AM in response to facebusk

There is no update for Rosetta. It's either on the drive, or it isn't. It's possible however that Rosetta is damaged. Since you don't have the disks, you can fool the OS into thinking it isn't installed. Open Terminal and copy/paste the following line into it:

sudo /usr/sbin/sysctl -w kern.exec.archhandler.powerpc=/usr/libexec/oah/RosettaNonGrata

It will ask for your admin password before completing the command. When back at the prompt, close Terminal.

Now run any PowerPC app. The OS will tell you Rosetta isn't installed and needs to be downloaded. Click Okay and Rosetta will be downloaded from Apple's servers and installed.

If it doesn't download anything (it should), then run this command in Terminal to re-enable Rosetta:

sudo /usr/sbin/sysctl -w kern.exec.archhandler.powerpc=/usr/libexec/oah/translate

There's no need to run this command if the OS does download and install Rosetta. It will already be enabled after that.

Ignore any line wrapping caused by the forums for the Terminal commands above. They are one line and they'll paste as one line into Terminal.

Dec 17, 2013 6:58 AM in response to facebusk

i do have it installed on my pc and its not allowing me to install Maya 2009 because the operating system is recognizing it as an intel and not as a PC.

Sorry, I have to ask. I know PC is actually a term for Personal Computer, which can mean any home computer, but do you mean you have the Mac OS installed on generic Windows hardware?

Dec 19, 2013 9:15 AM in response to facebusk

I can only guess at this point that the OS is broken enough that it needs to be reinstalled. Since you have no disks, you're going to have to get a replacement.

What is the make and model of your Mac? You can find out by holding down the Option key, then clicking on the Apple at the upper left and choosing System Information. What does it say at the right for the top four headings? Such as this:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro5,1

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3.33 GHz

I only ask so we can see exactly what model Mac you have. If it originally came with Leopard 10.5.x, then there's no need to get duplicates of the original gray disks. You could just purchase a retail copy of Snow Leopard. If it came with SL, it's important to know if it came with 10.6.4 or later. In which case, you would not be able to use the retail disk and would have to get replacement gray, model specific disks.

Dec 19, 2013 10:43 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt,

I am not able to purchase another operating system for this computer. I think that would just be too expensive.

How can you say for sure that my operating system is broken? I bought this computer secondhand and I dont

have any discs or anything.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08

SMC Version (system): 1.2f10

Serial Number (system): W*********1

Hardware UUID: 00**************************3

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Dec 19, 2013 10:22 AM in response to facebusk

This is your exact model. You couldn't move past Snow Leopard if you wanted to. 10.6.8 is the latest OS your Mac will run.

A replacement OS disk is by no means expensive. This isn't Microsoft. You can get a retail, 10.6.3 Snow Leopard disk from Apple for $20.

By broken, I mean the OS is probably damaged, which is preventing software from functioning properly. Not so bad the Mac won't run, but it isn't running the way it should.

how do i activate rosetta.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.