Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Can't I Download .dmg files????

Up until I started having attitude problems from Firfeox 24, my computer was running quite well. I got fed up with Firefox 24 and decided to try a different browser. I tried GoogleChrome, as well as Safari. I also had MacKeeper downloaded on my computer for a short time, but, after seeing warnings about it in the forums here, I chucked it! So, With Safari and GoogleChrome, I discovered a strange problem-I can't download .dmg files. I can't update Adobe Flash Player, I can't download files for Apps..it'll look like it is starting to download, then it will stop and say "Plug-in Failure". I've been using the Opera Browser that I downloaded for free from the App store......that so great! I'd like to be able to download these certain files again and attempt using Firefox 25. I am on a late 2006 Intel-Based iMac Desktop computer which is running on Snow Leopard. If someone can help, I'd be most grateful. Thank you!

iMac (20-inch Late 2006), iOS 6

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 11:14 PM

1 reply

Dec 4, 2013 8:59 AM in response to macwoman37

Back up all data, then uninstall "Speed Download" according to the developer's instructions.

Other system modifications that can cause this kind of problem are "iGetter" and "TVU Player." If none of those is installed, then proceed as below.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Help Installed Plug-ins

Besides the following, what plugins are listed?

• iPhotoPhotocast
  • Java
  • QuickTime
  • Shockwave Flash
  • WebKit built-in PDF (absent in OS X 10.9 and later)

Why Can't I Download .dmg files????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.