Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new drive shows wrong capacity and won't partition

I have an Intel Core2 Duo iMac5,1 and I am trying to install a new hard drive. The disk I bought is a Seagate ST1000DX001 (1TB hybrid drive). I installed the disk, booted from the original install DVD and ran Disk Utility. This is where it gets weird. Disk Utility sees the 1TB disk as a 7.3TB disk. It correctly identifies the name as ST1000DC001-1CM162, however. When I select the "Partition" tab then the default size for a single partition is 7.28TB. I can't change this (I can, but it changes itself back to 7.28). Of course it also won't partition or erase it if I try (fails with input/output error). System Profiler also sees the correct model but incorrect capacity. Have you ever seen this before? Could it be a bad drive? Thanks, Dave.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.8), iMac5,1

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 12:12 AM

3 replies

Dec 4, 2013 10:18 PM in response to astronomerdave

I removed the HDD from the iMac and connected it to my MacBook Pro using a BlacX SATA docking station. The disk was immediately recognized as 1TB (although the model number wasn't shown as ST1000DC001 -- I forget just what it said now). I was able to partition and erase the disk seemingly fine. I reinstalled it into the iMac and it still shows up as a 7.28TB disk -- this time with a partition, however. But I cannot mount it nor erase it. Any action with it from the iMac now results in Disk Utility crashing.

new drive shows wrong capacity and won't partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.