Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Using VLC media player from iTunes

3017 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2006 5:43 PM by staceyeileen RSS
staceyeileen Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 16, 2006 5:44 PM
Is there any way to set VLC as my default video player in iTunes instead of Quicktime? I much prefer using VLC to watch videos, but I like the organization of the iTunes library. I'd love it if it was possible to have VLC automatically open whenever I double-click on a video file in my iTunes library.
Macbook Pro 1.83 Ghz, Mac OS X (10.4.7)
  • Peter Miller Level 4 Level 4 (1,955 points)
    Jul 16, 2006 6:39 PM (in response to staceyeileen)
    hi Stacey,

iTunes codecs are based in Quicktime (that's why you need quicktime to run iTunes) sorry, I do agree with what you are saying, maybe there is a third-party patch...

regards,

Pete.
    iBook G4; 60GB Hard Drive, 512MB RAM, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X (10.4.3), iWork & iLife '06, Adobe CS2, Final Cut Pro. Anything and Everything!!!
  • Michael Kalus Calculating status...
    Jul 16, 2006 7:24 PM (in response to staceyeileen)
    One thing you may want to try is to associate video files with VLC as the default instead of iTunes. I am not sure if that will get iTunes to open VLC though.

My guess is no, as usually all the Multimedia parts on OS X are handled by Quicktime.
    PB G4 1.67, 128MB GFX, 1GB RAM, 100GB HDD, PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3, 256MB GFX, 4.5GBRAM, 500GB HDD, Mac OS X (10.4)
  • Tom Graves Level 7 Level 7 (20,615 points)
    Jul 16, 2006 10:45 PM (in response to staceyeileen)
    iTunes is set up to play videos in iTunes. It does not have an option to choose an external player. If you want to use an external player, you can control-click on the video, choose "Show song File", control-click on the file, and then choose VLC Player. Or, you can change the default app of the videos by highlighting a video in Finder, pressing Command-I to get the Get Info Box, changing "Open With" to VLC Player and clicking on "Change All". now you can go to the file in the Finder, double click on it, and it will open in VLC Player. Note that any video purchased through the iTunes Music Store can only be played in iTunes because they are copy-protected files.
    1 Ghz 15 inch PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.7), 1984 Macintosh, 60 gb iPod [Have you backed up your data today?]

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.