Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enabling NTFS Support On OSX 10.8.5

I will use HFS+ for Time Machine backups. However, I still need to share files between the Windows and Mac world.

For Windows, I use a portable disk drive that I just drag and drop files to for backup. This is sufficient for my backup needs. I'd like to be able to access this drive for both read and write from the MAC, just as I do now with a thumb drive. I found the following article on this topic: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57588773-263/how-to-manually-enable-ntfs-re ad-and-write-in-os-x/

It states ".... however, OS X does support writing to NTFS, but this feature is just not enabled by default."

It then goes on to describe how to do this "... to enable this feature, you have to do so on a per-volume basis, by editing the system's hidden fstab file to adjust the way the drive is automatically handled when attached and mounted. ......." See article for details.

The article also notes "Keep in mind that the writing ability of Apple's NTFS driver has not been thoroughly tested, and though this will enable write support using Apple's driver, there may be some limitations or unknown behaviors with the driver, so use it with caution"

As noted, I will use it to access the NTFS drive for read and write from both Windows and Mac. Just drag and drop.

1. Has anyone else used this feature? I know there are third party solutions, but I'd prefer using this if it works.

2. If so, what limitations or unknown behaviors have been seen?

3. When I talked with Apple tech support yesterday, they suggested I go to an Apple store and get assistance from the 'genius bar' for implementing the steps. As the person noted, one bad keystroke entry could mess up my system. Good idea! Is there any reason why the Apple store might refuse to assist me?

Thanks,

signed - trying to bridge the 2 worlds

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 4:44 AM

17 replies

Dec 4, 2013 8:58 AM in response to jds2

I've been through the tricks and third party solutions and have come to the conclusion that you just need to reorganize your existence to cease trying to write to NTFS volumes using OS X. External drives are just too inexpensive to be dealing with this issue anymore.

Third party NTFS-Mac writing support is spotty at best. The next thing you know is that an OS X update "breaks" the usability of the device driver, and by writing, your volume becomes corrupt, and lose your data. Then you wait for the third party entity to catch up, and the File System Implementation Mechanism is no longer maintained by the developer (MacFUSE). So, you wait for OSXFUSE to save you with a current OS X kernel extension, and hope that it continues to function through the next OS X update. Blech!

Use hands4's advice. Use exFAT for your drives that must be cross-usable and never have to worry.

Dec 5, 2013 6:51 AM in response to jds2

OK, I'm convinced - go exFAT.

Good thing OSX can read NTFS. Now a simple case of copying the files from the NTFS device to the Mac, reformatting the drive to be exFAT, and copying everything back to the drive.

Thanks,

signed - New to the Mac world, but I'll never go back to Windows

Dec 6, 2013 12:16 PM in response to jds2

Sorry to hear that. It looks like you cannot have your cake and eat it too. How often will you have files bigger than 4 GB?

exFAT: Read/write on the Mac, supports large files, not Windows 2000 compatible.

NTFS: Read-only on the Mac, supports large files, Windows 2000 compatible.

FAT32: Read/write on the Mac, does not support large files, Windows 2000 compatible.

NTFS will transport form Windows 2000 to the Mac but not the other way.

FAT32 will transport both ways but not for big files (4 GB maximum).

NTFS: Risk a 3rd-party utility that reads and writes NTFS on OS X.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

Dec 6, 2013 12:27 PM in response to jds2

See below, use paragon

OR TUXERA for Mac for NTFS:

http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/

FORMAT TYPES

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)

• Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
  • Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
  • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

NTFS (Windows NT File System)

• Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
  • To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

HFS+ ((((MAC FORMAT)))) (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

• Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
  • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! backups of Mac internal hard drive.
  • To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
  • Maximum file size: 8EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 8EiB
  • You can use this format if you only use the drive with Mac OS X, or use it for backups of your Mac OS X internal drive, or if you only share it with one Windows PC (with MacDrive installed on the PC)

EXFAT (FAT64)

• Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
  • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

Dec 6, 2013 1:24 PM in response to jds2

RE: .... or TUXERA for Mac for NTFS

and

RE: Third party NTFS-Mac writing support is spotty at best.

- So is Tuxera a reliable product?

Another solution might be to partiotion my portable hard drive into 3 partitions:

1. NTFS partition for my old Windows 2000 laptop drag and drop backups

2. exFAT for the Windows XP and MacBook Air laptops file sharing, and

3. HFS+ for all the benefits of Time Machine for the macBook Air.

- Now how reliable is it to partition a hard drive like this?

- Is one of these alternatives better than the other?

Dec 6, 2013 1:37 PM in response to jds2

reliable fine, good idea. NO

youve got all data in once locus primed for major failure and a tragedy of data loss.

When (not if) your drive goes,....poof, its all gone.

Exercise redundancy above all else and get at least ONE more drive to have a minimum of 2 copies of vital data you "dont dare lose" OFF the computer.

data ON the computer does not count as a copy in the 2-copy scheme of protection.

there are two commercial NTFS drivers, Paragon's NTFS for Mac® OS X, Tuxera NTFS for Mac, and the opensource NTFS-3G.

http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/2010/01/ntfs-3g-for-mac-os-x-2010116.html

Data redundancy (copies) makes all HD crashes inconsequential, an irrelevancy.

There are only two kinds of hard drives, those that have failed, and those that will fail, regardless of quality of manufacture.

Any Macbook or desktop should be idealized as a working platform computer system, containing all your applications, documents, and weekly-use necessary files; and all media files such as ‘big-data’ (music/PDF collections/video/pictures), unless directly needed in the near future, should be kept off the computer and on external storage USB or likewise bare hard drives.

Never consider any computer a data storage device at any time under any circumstance, rather a data creation, sending, and manipulation device. Anyone who thinks data is safe on any computer, even copied upon multiple partitions is making a mistake that will, without fail, strike.

Dec 9, 2013 2:16 PM in response to jds2

RE: Exercise redundancy above all else and get at least ONE more drive to have a minimum of 2 copies of vital data you "dont dare lose" OFF the computer.

We are in sync. In fact that is what I have done to date - Two WD Passport 500 GB drives which should take me through the next year. So partitioning it is.

Partitioning also avoids the third party NTFS drivers for MAC which someone noted "writing support is spotty at best."

Thanks all for your help!

Jan 17, 2014 9:15 PM in response to SP Forsythe

SP Forsythe wrote:

I've been through the tricks and third party solutions and have come to the conclusion that you just need to reorganize your existence to cease trying to write to NTFS volumes using OS X. External drives are just too inexpensive to be dealing with this issue anymore.

Absolutely 100% correct, its just short of insanity to keep messing with communication software for reading and writing to HD. 😢

people need to spend $60 on another HD, ...Mac OSX format it and be done with it all.

anything else is masochistic

Feb 4, 2014 12:15 PM in response to Topher Kessler

I just noticed youre the author of those several articles Ive seen here and there on various OSX topics.

Greetings Earthling. (waves~) 😊

As for NTFS bi-di communication in the MacOSX,..

the question needs to be raised in the era of 'cheaper than dirt' HD, not "could you" , but "should you".

Of course your article mentions: "If you are dealing with important data, or need to access numerous different NTFS volumes, then third-party drivers may still be the best (if not most convenient) choice."

Id counter with the premise that if said data is more valuable than 'utterly worthless', then dropping another $60 on 1TB is the best choice, rather than a terminal tweak or using the far less than reliable Paragon or Tuxera

Feb 4, 2014 2:36 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

I disagree. That stance suggests that the only route to take is to use a third-party solution, or one that is officially supported by Apple. That is not the only route, and with proper precaution, it may be beneficial to some folks to use the hidden NTFS functionality that is built into the OS.

While perhaps one or two people have had problems, I've not at all seen any suggestion that this is a rampant issue, or even one that has affected more than one or two individuals (hardly a statistical significance). Instead, many (most) who have followed those instructions to enable NTFS write support have had perfectly good results.

Is there a chance problems can arise? Sure, when is there ever not?

Suggesting a third-party FUSE options as an alternative is not necessarily a better choice, as this can also result in broken and damaging functionality in the face of OS updates or changes to FUSE or the associated drivers. In fact, along these lines the use of any NTFS-writing option in OS X, be it through FUSE, Apple's hidden NTFS support, or even through a VM, will ultimately be circumventing the OS's native abilities and come with at least some risk.

Even Boot Camp functionality is not supported. Apple offers drivers to get Windows running, but offers no guarantee at all for the ability to read NTFS even in this environment.

The stance some folks take to avoid any modification of the system by any means, and only use it by what Apple intended, is an extreme that is quite odd for anyone besides official Apple support to take.

This stance can be followed by those who choose, but for those who wish to explore their systems (which can be done quite safely) there are plenty of options available, and it is by NO MEANS irresponsible to discuss or outline them, especially with proper warning of consequences. Claiming irresponsibility in this manner is defamatory, plain and simple.

I'd suggest to anyone that if data is valuable, then rely only on redundancy to protect it. If you need to read a drive, then be sure it is backed up (preferibly in multiple locations). Additionally, when using OS X, the most supported formatting option will be HFS+, but even this format has issues with corruption through continuous use. There was discussion of ZFS in OS X to help overcome some of these problems with HFS+. While Journaling has helped, HFS+ still requires continual maintenance through format checking routines (Disk Utility, etc.), as even some of the seemingly more benign actions can result in formatting inconsistencies and other issues.

Enabling NTFS Support On OSX 10.8.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.