No app is required.
- If you previously turned on FIndMyiPod on the iPod in Settings>iCloud and wifi is on and connected go to iCloud: Find My iPhone, sign in and go to FIndMyiPhone. If the iPod has been restored it will never show up.
- You can also wipe/erase the iPod and have the iPod play a sound via iCloud.
- If not shown, then you will have to use the old fashioned way, like if you lost a wallet or purse.
- Change the passwords for all accounts used on the iPod and report to police
- There is no way to prevent someone from restoring the iPod (it erases it) using it unless you had iOS 7 on the device. With iOS 7, one has to enter the Apple ID and password to restore the device.
- Apple will do nothing without a court order
- If you erase it via iCoud you will no longer be able to communicate with ite/locate it via iCloud.
- The only way to find out if you have it backed up to iCloud is to use the same iCloud account in Setting>iClould on another iPod touch, iPhone or iPad. The go to Settings>iCloud>Storage and Backup