Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spotlight

I deleted a bunch of downloads and now my spot light has been saying indexing mac book pro and I cant search for anything. this has been goin on for weeks and I think there is an issue. any advice would be appreciated.

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 9:07 AM

The Spotlight database is likely corrupt. Open the System Preference and click on the Spotlight icon, then the Privacy tab. Drag and drop the hard drive's icon from the desktop into that window. This will force Spotlight to delete the current database. Now highlight the drive and click the minus button to remove it from the Privacy field. Spotlight will start over creating a new database for that drive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2013 9:07 AM in response to DickBlaze

The Spotlight database is likely corrupt. Open the System Preference and click on the Spotlight icon, then the Privacy tab. Drag and drop the hard drive's icon from the desktop into that window. This will force Spotlight to delete the current database. Now highlight the drive and click the minus button to remove it from the Privacy field. Spotlight will start over creating a new database for that drive.

Dec 4, 2013 6:58 PM in response to DickBlaze

i added the macintosh hard drive then highlighted it and nothing happened.... so i went back into preferences chose spot light hit the privacy tap and clicked and dragged the hard drive icon into the tab and it made a little poof. now i can't get at my hard drive, it deleted it from the finder and all! i messed up big i think!

spotlight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.