Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beach Ball

i owe a macbok pro 13 inch (mid 2012), the problem is with the 'beach ball' showing up enery now and then, i dont even have any heavy application nor my hard drive is full its more then 70% empty , yes i have 3rd party software like msoffice 2011 ,i;m really fed up with my mac.please if anyone out there can find me a perfect solution for this , will really help me . its been like 8 months still i'm facing the problems ,tried everything what the google pages told me to do .

and yeah i have os mavericks installed as the updated version. ram is 4 gigs

i hope u guys will definately find me a solution that works .:)

thanks in advance

peace

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion, iPod touch 4g

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 9:39 AM

13 replies

Dec 5, 2013 11:18 AM in response to NJ29

I have a MacBook Air with 4 GB running Mavericks and I see a beach ball flash on and off briefly every now and then when that did not happen on Mountain Lion. For me it is not a big deal because it is so brief. If your occurrences are more often and of longer duration you can try the suggestions int the thread below.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5632943?tstart=300

Dec 8, 2013 8:35 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

i already took an appointment before. they reinstalled the whole 'os' but it seems it has not gone yet.

do u think my hard disk might be crashing?

is there any way to detect that its a hardware issue ,i ran apple hardware test today and there was no as such indication about my hard drive failure.

what do u think?

how can i make sure that its an hardware issue? yes my mac is under apple care.

or the other way i was thinking is to just reformat the drive and have a fresh install of mavericks.. will this work????

peace

waiting for the reply

Dec 8, 2013 9:02 AM in response to NJ29

You shoud not install any 3rd-party hardware while the system is under warranty or AppleCare. That would void the warranty.

At this point the first thing I woud do is boot in Safe Mode (Boot then hold dow the Shift key until you see it startup.) If the problem does not happen in Safe Mode then you do not need to reiinstall the OS. Instead you would need to remove some 3rd-party software that is causing the problem.

Before trying a clean install look as the instructions in this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5603578?answerId=24057011022#24057011022

If those suggestaions to not to the job, a clean install can help. When you do the clean install write zeros to the entire disk. This will find and map-out any bad blocks.

First backup the sytem twice (onto two different external disk drives). You are about to erase all the data on your computer and you want to ge darn sure you can reload it. Consider creating a clone onto the second backup drive.

For more about backups (including cloning):

Time Machine Basics: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

Most commonly used backup methods:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3045

Methodology to protect your data. Backups vs. Archives. Long-term data protection:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6031

Boot the Recovery partition (Boot - Command -R)

Disk Utility > Select the system disk > Erase tab > Mac OS Extended (journaleld) > Name: Macintosh HD > Security Options... > Move the bar one position to the right (write a single pass of zeros) > OK > Erase...

The erase will take a long time as it writes to every block on your disk.

Then resinall the OS and reload your data.

If this does not help take it back to Apple and ask again that they find what is causing the problem. Be sure to maintain a current Time Machine backup in case your disk drive fails. (Do this at all times, even once your system is healthy again.)

Dec 8, 2013 1:06 PM in response to NJ29

NJ29 wrote:

i already took an appointment before. they reinstalled the whole 'os' but it seems it has not gone yet.

Did you tell them that the problem still remains? IF not why not? If under warranty or not, call Apple tech support to advise them the "repair" did not work. More than likely, ATS will tell you to take the MBP right back to the repair shop.

User uploaded file

When it’s time to pick up your computer from the repair shop:

*** Before you leave the repair shop, make sure you have the repair tech(s) power the comp up and demonstrate that it is indeed working & repaired properly to your satisfaction.***

User uploaded file

Dec 10, 2013 3:19 AM in response to hands4

the safe mode shows beach ball too

now u tell me what should i do ??

reformat ? or my disk is failing?

i just want to make sure that my hard disk is okay,..i have ran apple hardware test but there was no error .

so should i believe that my harddisk is allright?

suggest me something .:)

Beach Ball

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.