Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing Apple ID for App Updates

I am renting an iPad from my college. When I connected it to my Mac I was able to put my apps, music, etc. I was able to get it assoiciated partially with my iTunes account but, I cannot update apps. The other account is from the loaner departement I got the iPad from. I also made a in-app purchase but I did it on my iPhone because I could not do it on the iPad. Is their any way to get around the orginal iTunes account so I can update apps, and presubly unlock the in-app purched content? Thanks for the replies

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 10:20 AM

When you want to update apps, you have to use the ID that was used to purchases the apps. Purchases are always tied to the ID used to make the purchases. That means that you have to sign into the other ID in order to update those apps. Settings>iTunes & App Store. Tap your ID and sign out! then sign in with the other ID.

What you do not want to do is download previously purchased apps with the other ID because then you will associate the pad with that ID and lock yourself out of your own ID for 90 days.

Were you trying to make an in app purchase for one of the apps that you purchased with your ID?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2013 10:20 AM in response to Artotture

When you want to update apps, you have to use the ID that was used to purchases the apps. Purchases are always tied to the ID used to make the purchases. That means that you have to sign into the other ID in order to update those apps. Settings>iTunes & App Store. Tap your ID and sign out! then sign in with the other ID.

What you do not want to do is download previously purchased apps with the other ID because then you will associate the pad with that ID and lock yourself out of your own ID for 90 days.

Were you trying to make an in app purchase for one of the apps that you purchased with your ID?

Dec 4, 2013 11:23 AM in response to Artotture

You are not going to see the other Apple ID in the settings. You will only see the ID that you are signed into.

But when you attempt to update the apps, a box should pop up with the Apple ID that was used to purchase the apps. You would then have to enter the password for that ID in order to update. Are you seeing that? Actually, you should probably find out from the school how they handle this type of thing. What I mean by that is, are these apps that the school purchases for students to use and if so, they should be providing the means to update the apps.

Dec 4, 2013 11:50 AM in response to Demo

The only account that shows up when I try update apps is the orginal used the device was set up the device. When I got the device I was suprised to see that only iWork apps were the only Apps pre-installed. When I try to update Apps manually (Apps that I synced over) I still get the dilog box associated with the orginal account's email.

Removing Apple ID for App Updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.