Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I split cells in Numbers 3.0.1

I cannot find the cell split option on the latest version on Numbers - can anyone point me in the right direction - thank you

Aperture 3, OS X Mavericks (10.9), MacBook Pro 2.8GHz core 2 Duo, 8GB

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 10:02 AM

12 replies

Dec 4, 2013 11:54 AM in response to SGIII

Yes SG I like to keep things simple and clean

But I record my commissions normally as one per row, but if the commission runs over two or more days I want to keep details of each day separate whilst under the same commission heading. Therefore one row then contains two or more sub-sets of information. It saves repeating / doubling up on the headings and other common details of the commission

I suppose the backward way round the problem is to create two rows and merge common cells - but this will cause more work for me in general, and begs the question why remove a previoulsy available option !

Nick

Dec 4, 2013 12:31 PM in response to Nick-Thirteen

Hi Nick,

Got it. The purer "spreadsheet way" to avoid duplication of data would be to record commissions in a separate table, and extract the sums corresponding to each "heading" with a formula, something like this:

User uploaded file

The formula in D2, copy pasted down, is:

=SUMIF(Commissions::$A,$A2,Commissions::$C)

This says, add up everything in column C of the Commissions table where the value in column A of the Commissions table is the same as the value in column A of this row.

This takes a one-time setup (and you have to make sure the values in column A of both tables are consistent) but thereafter there are advantages. Among them, you can sort and filter your transactions or your commissions to get different views.

Splitting and merging cells in spreadsheets generally spells trouble, even in Numbers 2.3, though it sounds as if you've been lucky.

SG

Jun 30, 2014 12:43 PM in response to Nick-Thirteen

Has this issue been resolved? I still cannot find the split cell option...

I have one table that has a column of dimensions with just a space between the values, ex: 15.25 17.5

I would like to split these into two cells...

I have a million of them so cutting and pasting is really tedious and I feel like I am not using numbers to its fullest potential!

please help

How can I split cells in Numbers 3.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.