"do a save as have it save to the location you want from the drop down menu" This makes it sound simple but it leaves a lot unsaid. The problem is that the dropdown menu does not give the folder I want. The dropdown menu only gives limited options, Favorites (its determination) and Recent Places, and if the folder I want is not on the list, there is no browse option to get to the folder I need. What then?
"(You could select desktop and then drag it into a folder in documents)" This also sounds easy but does not work either -- unless there is more to know, which I grant is a possibility.
So, the question is, how do I save emails into my folders in documents when the folder I want is not listed in the "save as" dropdown menu?
1. Select the email in your Apple Mail client.
2. Click on File -> Save As. A window opens asking you where you want to save the email.
3. Leave this Save As window for now. Go to Finder and open the folder where you want to save your email.
4. Note at the bottom of your Finder window you can see the path to that folder. In my case this is the path to my Documents folder in the Home Directory (see attached image). In the path click on the folder you want the email saved to (in my case I click on the Documents folder) and drag it to the Save As window. Drop it where you need to enter a name for the saved file.
5. A prompt appears asking if you want to go the folder (click yes). Sometimes you may not get asked that.
6. Voila. Now you are saving in the folder where you want to save your email.