Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't restore files from time machine

Hi all

The hard drive on my MacBook Pro died the other day. I wasn't stressed as I have Time Machine backing up onto a Timecapsule and a network drive hanging off a Mac Mini media server. I aslo did some manual back ups onto a usb drive.

I had a local company change out the drive and reinstall Mavericks for me however now I have the computer back and up and running with a clean install of OSX I can't restore any of my files using Time Machine. I can add the drives to Time Machine and I can enter the "twilight zone" scrolling back to see all the back ups I have running back to Jan 13 however they are all "pinked out" and I simply can't see or retrieve any files. The only areas in white are for today.

I tried running migration assistant to see if I could retrieve some data that way but I also run into a problem here having selected the back up drive it presents a data source, I select it and then I am unable to proceed and continue is greyed out.

I'm stumped and a little bit annoyed that the whole raison d'etre of backups and Time Machine is to provide backups for just this eventuality and yet here I am unable to retrieve a single file.

Am I being dumb or is Time Machine or is it Time Machine?

thks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 1:30 PM

9 replies

Dec 4, 2013 1:44 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the response. I've already scanned through that FAQ without success. The problem is that I can see the back up points, they are all visible, pink and pulsing. I can select a Finder folder and then go back in time however the finder folder then turns black and there is nothing I can do.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that my new drive and effectively Mac have a differently named Home drive than the previous installation. I don't remember what my previous Home drive was called nor did I configure the name of the new one as a third party repaired the machine.

Stumped and frustrated.

Jun 10, 2014 10:23 AM in response to megaram

Hi guys,

I'm very new to all of this. However, i am having the exact same problem as OWRC

I recently wiped my mac thinking that it would be easy to restore via my time machine back up on my time capsule. First of all, i tried to restore via the start up instructions immediately after i'd installed a fresh maverick install. I could select the time capsule, enter the password and then nothing; the continue button was greyed and i couldn't go any further.

I then tried via migration assistant and the same thing.

The issue here is that i'm not looking to restore some selected files via time machine, i want to fully restore all my old files via migration assistant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jun 12, 2014 8:53 AM in response to amcbrace

You can full restore all your old files using Time Machine. Migration Assistant is only necessary if you purchased a new Mac and want to transfer all of your data over from another older Mac.

From reading your post, you appear to be trying to transfer all of your old data to a fresh install of Mavericks, in which case Migration Assistant is not much use.

To restore all of the old files stored in your Time Capsules internal storage, you could select them all inside the Time Machine twilight view. Alas, time machine doesn't really offer a clean install option.

Alternatively, you restore all your files using Time Machine inside OSx Recover Mode. This option will restore any corrupt system files or problems in the OSx library. Hence, the main reason some Apple users have relied less on Time Machine (see discussion thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5512355?answerId=23797713022#23797713022).

I personally have no qualms about slectively restoring everything inside Time Machine following a clean install. I performed a clean install some months ago and managed to restore "all my old data", as you are trying to do, from my external disk drive without any problems.

I use Time Machine because it is designed to work seamlessly with Apple's OSx. If you must restore old files using a third party utility App other than TM I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!

Carbon Copy Cloner: http://www.bombich.com

SuperDuper!: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/superduperdescription.html

These applications work brilliantly with Migration Assistant.

Aug 28, 2014 12:53 PM in response to OWRC

I'm having an issue with restoring select files from time machine. I am able to view all back ups and individual files, but once time machine is launched I am unable to click on any icons or sidebar items. I am however able to pass up and down the timeline as well as click on the arrows. I used to be able to select a specific item and restore it.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sep 12, 2016 7:05 AM in response to OWRC

reply to Linc Davis.

I have the same problem. : ...however they are all "pinked out" and I simply can't see or retrieve any files...

one of my volumes is "pinked out". My iMAC is divided in 3 volumes. The volume with the files i try to recover shows "unmounted" after shift-command-C . The volume is mounted as i'm working on it when not in Time machine mode.

The reason i want to recover these files is that I've lost some data while consolidating 4 hard drives into one (into the volume that shows unmounted, which i have erased almost entirely). Now all the data on this volume is synced with my dropbox pro 1To. My objective is to use it for my work and have it accessible with my office computer.

Regards

Felix

can't restore files from time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.