Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I had installed ARD from app store but have since deleted it as I had never used nor intended to use it. I've just received an ARD update via app store even though I don't have ARD. Is this correct?

I had installed ARD from app store but have since deleted it as I had never used nor intended to use it. I’ve just received an ARD update via app store. Is this correct?

The reason I ask is because I received two emails from Apple a few months ago informing me that my apple id was used to restore my backups to two devices not belonging to me. (beyond frustrating…)
I want to be sure that no other information is being utilized… although I don’t know how much is left untouched considering my backup contained most everything. I have many, many crash logs on both my iphone & iMac every day, but that is another topic entirely I suppose, but with that said, it is extremely hard for me to educate myself on each error, vulnerability, crash, etc. Apple has done nothing for me since emailing me regarding the theft of my id, password, & all of the contained information.

Anyway, can I be certain that nobody is using ARD on my iMac? Why would I get an update for an app I no longer have installed?
I suppose that another version of ARD could have came installed on iMac, but I cannot find any such program in any search on my computer. Any & all help is appreciated. Thank you.

ARD / Apple Remote Desktop-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 1:45 PM

You got an update to the ARD client, most likely, and those have come up from time to time since Apple started bundling the client in Mac OS X several years ago. If that is indeed what you were notified about, this is completely normal and not a problem.

Regards.

6 replies

Dec 12, 2013 11:16 AM in response to varjak paw

It is a Remote Desktop Client Update 3.7.1

Thank you for answering. I apologize it has taken me so long to get back in here.

I just realized that I wrote that I installed from app store originally, but I must correct that statement. I never paid for the app so it must have come preinstalled on my 2011 iMac. I was confused since the update is through the store so I assumed I downloaded it. Sorry for any miscommunication.

So to be clear, even though I have never remotely administered / accessed my computer and I no longer have ARD on my computer, it is normal to have the client update appear in my App Store. Is that correct?

I appreciate your assistance.

Dec 12, 2013 11:35 AM in response to rwh1377

The client software just provide the mechanism via which the Remote Desktop administrator application can connect to your system. That connection can happen only if Remote Management is turned on in the Sharing system preference and the appropriate permissions set. You can without fear allow this update; the client is on your system anyway.

Regards.

I had installed ARD from app store but have since deleted it as I had never used nor intended to use it. I've just received an ARD update via app store even though I don't have ARD. Is this correct?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.