Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HD becomes Read-Only and "Unapproved Caller: SecurityAgent may only be invoked by Apple Software" Error Message Displays

I'm running Mavericks on a mid-2009 MacBook Pro, and every couple days my system becomes really slow and my HD becomes read-only, and when I restart I get a gray screen and the error message "Unapproved Caller: SecurityAgent may only be invoked by Apple software."

Usually after restarting my system, things return to normal, but sometimes it takes 2-3 restarts. I've tried migrating to a different user and resetting permissions, using DiskUtility (no errors found) but nothing works. It's gotten to the point, that I don't trust using my system anymore. Any suggestions on things to try would be very much appreciated! I'm about ready to give up!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 2:33 PM

13 replies

Feb 23, 2014 1:03 PM in response to divescape

I had failed hard drive last month and I replaced with a new one and a few days after reinstalling Mavericks I'm having same issues with a mid-2009 MBP. ITunes won't open library, iPhoto has issues and then hard drive seems to go into "read only mode" of some sorts. I have to hold power down and then once it restarts problem normally goes away for a few days.

I just did a full reinstall of Mavericks last night, no problems yet. I'll you know if my problem stays fixed.

Apr 9, 2014 6:51 AM in response to divescape

I had the same problem--the "unapproved caller" message popping up, although mostly while my machine was up and running. Based on your recommendation I replaced the HDD cable.

Like others who are having this problem I had replaced my hard drive earlier this year. It's possible that the HDD cable got damaged in the process. Even before the "unapproved caller" message started showing up (more than two months after the HD swap) I had noticed a sluggish performance, with the Finder occasionally taking minutes before displaying a folder content.

It's only been a few days, so may be I am writing this too early ... but so far it seems as if the problem has been fixed.

Apr 12, 2014 6:02 PM in response to divescape

My late 2012 Mac Mini won't boot - the "unapproved caller" error comes up even booting in safe mode. My hard drive was full, so I transferred all my music to a 4T external. I can boot to the "control+r" repair screen, but fixing permissions did nothing. I can't find an HDD cable for Mac Mini. It's been booting to the white screen of purgatory for weeks. I hope if I can get it to boot and empty my trash to free up hard drive space (the music I copied out) the problem will be solved. Any ideas?

HD becomes Read-Only and "Unapproved Caller: SecurityAgent may only be invoked by Apple Software" Error Message Displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.