Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to reset to factory settings my macbook pro 2012 without it effecting my bootcamp windows 8 how do i do this ? i want to give it to my son.

Hi i have a macbook pro 2012 version and have bootcamp windows 8 as well on it, i want to wipe mystuff of the macbook side so my son can have it, how do i factory reset it without wiping off windows 8 from bootcamp?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 5

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 2:57 PM

5 replies

Dec 4, 2013 3:26 PM in response to juss7

You will need to sell/give it away with the original OS installed. As far as I know, you will need to wipe the entire drive and use internet recovery (Command + Option + R) to reinstall the original system (I am guessing: Mountain Lion?). There are two reasons for this: one is that the license for any OS obtained at the app store is not transferable and it is tied to the original purchaser's Apple ID forever. So it needs to be wiped. The original system can be transferred to a new owner, but you must un-register it here:

https://daw.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/DSAuthWeb.woa/wa/classicLogin?appIdKey= 58ef9db8ff4d201409e7270a68e4408ae1678e1618204c476572a1b5e5fb3518&path&language=U S-EN

That will disassociate both the original OS and the machine from your Apple ID and the recipient can associate it with his. If you do not reinstall the original system, the recipient will never be able to reinstall or update any apps.

I don't run Windows, but I believe their license restrictions are tougher and you will need to have the recipient get their own copy of it.

Dec 4, 2013 3:39 PM in response to babowa

Hi,

I bought the windows 8 pro from pcworld and they installed it for me by bootcamp, you should be able to ret that as well to give the pc to my son, but will i be able to just deauthorize mac from my itunes account? and reset to factory settings to give to my son with the windows side on it still?

Dec 4, 2013 5:20 PM in response to juss7

Lets talk licensing for a minute.

Windows has a mechanism for changing the licensing code after installation, in short you buy a new license and then install the key in the existing copy. That avoids the need to erase and reinstall Windows.

The Mac side should be returned to its original version of OS X, allowing your son to install his own copy of Mavericks (which is free)

Do this and no licenses are contravened.

I will add one more option (for Windows), you can take the telephone activation option, answer 2 when asked how many computers this copy is installed on, that usually brings a human to the phone. Explain the situation and let MS decide whether you can go ahead, or buy a new license.

I want to reset to factory settings my macbook pro 2012 without it effecting my bootcamp windows 8 how do i do this ? i want to give it to my son.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.