Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to update apps but keep getting message that my Apple ID can't be used to purchase from the iTunes store but it works on my iPhone & computer?

OS is 5.1.1 but it says no updates available. I've had the iPod for a few years but if I remember right it's 3rd Gen. Model #MC011C. I have no problems purchasing or updating apps on my iPhone, and I went to iTunes in my computer and purchased a song just to see if I could, and didn't have any problem. And I have tons of memory left on the iPod.

iPod touch, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 4:12 PM

The 3G iPod can only go as high as iOS 5.1.1.

Are you saying the on the iPod the App Store app is saying that app updates are available and when you tap on update yo get that message?

Have you tried going to Settings.iTunes and App Store and sign out and sign back in?

Have you verified via the App store description that the app updarte is compatible with iOS 5.1.1. Now many app updates require iOS 6 or even iOS 7 or later

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2013 4:12 PM in response to Boomersmum

The 3G iPod can only go as high as iOS 5.1.1.

Are you saying the on the iPod the App Store app is saying that app updates are available and when you tap on update yo get that message?

Have you tried going to Settings.iTunes and App Store and sign out and sign back in?

Have you verified via the App store description that the app updarte is compatible with iOS 5.1.1. Now many app updates require iOS 6 or even iOS 7 or later

Dec 4, 2013 4:40 PM in response to lllaass

Thank you for your answer 🙂

I went to the App Store app and selected "Updates" along the bottom menu. It said 11 updates were available. I then chose "Update All." Before any updates could begin, the message popped up that "This Apple ID cannot be used to make purchases from the iTunes Store." That popped up twice, then the same message with, "Please enter another Apple ID" added. I tried 3 separate times (getting all 3 pop-up messages each time). I then tried updating apps via the App store app on my iPhone 4 and it worked fine. Then I signed into the iTunes store on my computer and bought a song (thankfully one I like 😉) and that worked fine. I tried on my iPod one more time before finally coming here to post a question.

A few minutes after posting my question (and the reason I came back here, not knowing I'd received an answer) I thought I'd try one more time. This time, it worked with no problem and all the apps updated. So I don't know if somehow my purchasing something in iTunes on my computer helped, or creating this community ID did, or if it was just some temporary glitch. Whatever it was, it's working now. 😕 Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Thanks again!

Message was edited by: Boomersmum

Trying to update apps but keep getting message that my Apple ID can't be used to purchase from the iTunes store but it works on my iPhone & computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.