9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2013 12:22 AM by Luis Sequeira1
lburech Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am very disappointed with the sound quality of my camcorder when conducting interviews.  I thought I would buy  digital recorder and lapel microphone and synchronize with track they produce on the video.  The operation seems straight forward in FCP X, except i know that, before I can turn it off,  the digital recorder will necessarily keep running after I cease recording with my video camera and also, it shall be operating prior to the time I start recording. I am a one person operation.  Does this create a problem with the sychronization if the audio on the recorder is longer than the audio on the camcorder?  If FCP X's synchronization feature will solve my problem, can you recommend a suitable (i.e.satisfactory but inexpensive) digital recorder and lapel microphone that should serve my strictly amateur purposes.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • Russ H Level 6 Level 6 (16,445 points)

No. FCP is good at matching waveforms between an external recorder and the camera's audio (camera audio is required). If it needs assistance, you can always create markers to help it sync.

Russ

• lburech Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for getting back to me Russ. I am a bit confused, however.  My camera will produce audio.  What I am concerned about is whether the audio from the camera will be able to be replaced by the audio from the digital recorder, if the digital recorder has a lead before the camera started and a tail after the camera ended but otherwise has all the sound and therefore all the necessary waves that the camera's video has.

• Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (110,215 points)

Yes. You switch off the camera audio in FCP after you've synced the camera with the dual system audio.

And so, I assume from what you said, that  you just trim off the excess leader and trailer that was produced from the recorder for which there is no video?

• Luis Sequeira1 Level 5 Level 5 (6,820 points)

lburech wrote:

And so, I assume from what you said, that  you just trim off the excess leader and trailer that was produced from the recorder for which there is no video?

Yes. But the best thing is you can try it yourself. Download the free trial (it is fully functional for 30 days) and try it out.

I already have FCP X, so I am more concerned with a digital recorder and lapel microphone which I do not have.  Can you recommend a suitable (i.e.satisfactory but inexpensive) digital recorder and lapel microphone that should serve my strictly amateur purposes.

I bought a small sound recorder from Sony last year or so. The model is ICD-PX312.

It comes with a lavalier microphone. It cost under 50 euros, and for my modest purposes it has worked nicely.

And did you used this model ICD-PX312 recorder and lavelier microphone for syncing sound with Final Cut Pro X without problems, since that is what I wish to do with them.

lburech wrote:

And did you used this model ICD-PX312 recorder and lavelier microphone for syncing sound with Final Cut Pro X without problems, since that is what I wish to do with them.

Yes, and it worked fine.