Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 2013 i7 displays odd/random horizontal line

This is my 3rd 2013 MacBook Air 13", i7, 8GB, 256GB... and yet the same issue odd line keeps showing up.

I just wanted to check to see if anyone else with the i7 has experianced this issue.

The MacBook Air's have had the same configuration, and purchased across different months.

Issue:

Horizontal line appears randomly across the screen. In this case it displayed when Control Center was open.

This has happend on Mountain Lion 10.8.4 as well as a clean installed Mavericks 10.9

Note:

When it has happened, on almost all occasions, I have taken a picture of the screen displaying the horizontal line, also captured a screenshot.

Conclusion:

The screenshot displayed absolutely no anomalies what-so-ever. This tells me that this is a hardware issue (most probably the GPU).

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 5:19 PM

88 replies

Dec 4, 2013 5:29 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Thanks for your quick response.

If its Monitor display cable, what are the chances that three different MacBook Airs from months apart have this issue. Quality control?

Or if its the GPU, then the problem maybe wide spread with the "i7-4650U" CPU. Since again each MacBook Air has been purchased months apart.

Only other reason I can think of for this is either I have really bad luck, or for the people who have the i7 may have not notice it.

Dec 4, 2013 5:41 PM in response to Saeid

3 diff. Air and exact same line in exact same place? odds on that arent even what I would speculate on.

Now you indicate it isnt all the time? Slowly move your monitor back and forth and see if the line flickers, if so then its the monitor cable.

Contact Apple for full diagnostic and in shop parts replacement 😊

Of if under 14 days for an exchange with another Air

Dec 5, 2013 9:35 PM in response to Saeid

Hi Saeid,

I just wanted to chime in and say that this is happening to mine, too. I've had my MBA since July 2013 - it's also 13", i7, 8GB.

It doesn't happen that often for me yet - started happening maybe 2 weeks ago, and I've been noticing it more and more, which I guess means it's happening more frequently. I only seem to notice it as I'm scrolling down on the page, especially pages with images, and especially if I'm scrolling a bit faster than normal. As I scroll, it appears for just a super short few miliseconds or so, then disappears as I scroll on. Never seem to catch it in time to try to take a screenshot, but I'll try tonight if it comes up again.

As far as I can tell, the line's not showing up in the EXACT same place every time, and it doesn't span the entire horizontal width of the screen... but it's nearly always in the lower-middle of the screen.

Maybe we both just have bad luck?

Sarah

Dec 8, 2013 3:11 PM in response to spark7548

Thanks Sarah for your response.

Sorry to hear that your having the same issue.

I may have miscommunicated, the line does NOT appear in the same place. Its random.

I managed to find additional pictures from the previous i7 2013 MacBook Air that had the same issue.

I'm definitely thinking of switching to the i5 at this point (3 times is too much for me).

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Dec 26, 2013 2:42 PM in response to Saeid

I'm having exactly the same problem. I'm also having an i7 8GB, so does a Friend of mine with an i5 8GB configuration. I had two repairs by apple. They changed the logic board and the display twice. But nothing fixed it. The error is easy to reproduce by changing the background wallpaper.

This issue never appeared when I had a secound monitor hooked up the my MB Air. I'm getting a new one in a few weeks. I can only hope that this solves the problem - but I don't think so...

Jan 20, 2014 2:43 AM in response to Saeid

Soo, Apple finally replaced my MacBook Air 2013 i7, 8GB, 128GB. I got a completely new device with exactly the same issue.

There is also a video which shows the line very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeoUYYO7N2k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And this is what I found out about it in the last months:

- It does not happen when the Macbook Air is hooked up to an external monitor (neither on the externel monitor, neither on the screen of the MacBook Air).

- The easiest way to reproduce the line is by changing the backround wallpaper very often (May take you a while). I think that it has something to do with the repaint of graphical objects. That's why the line disappears as soon as something changed on the screen (for example: moving the mouse cursor, changing time in the menu bar etc.).

- Sometimes it reappears by doing the same thing which caused it. I had this twice:

1. Once in the video above by using mission control

2. and another one by using quick view.

As soon I did something else the line disappears and it wasn't reproducable.

- It looks like a misplaced line of pixels (1 pixel thick), the colors are similar to the current content of the screen.

I also asked the guy at apple support if any other people are calling because of this issue. The first one said, that he is not allowed to tell me about it (maybe Apple tries to keep this secret). The second one told me that it does not happen very offen (just about once a week).

The question that I'm asking myself now is the following: Does this also happen on Windows/Linux? Maybe it is just a driver issue. Has anyone tried this out now?

Jan 24, 2014 11:40 AM in response to Saeid

I am currently experiencing the same issue, made worse only by the treatment I got at the Apple store in Regent Street in London!!!

I was able to reliably trigger the problem by opening a book in iBooks, placing the window roughly in the top right quadrant of the screen and doing Cmd+F3, which brings up a long, flickering 1-pixel thick line across the screen.

1. I went to the Apple store for the 1st time, we discovered that you could take a screenshot of it, but the 'Genius' wiped the hard drive clean and reinstalled the OS.

2. When I got home I downloaded Chrome and Evernote, without putting ANYTHING else on my machine = the error resurfaced.

3. Took it back to the store, only to find out they had no record of my initial visit, so I had to tell them my life story again, they said they'll replace the logic board, as it appeared to them to be a hardware issue.

4. Heard back from the store, the person told me they had replaced the logic board and the issue had been resolved.

5. Got back to the Apple store and was told that the logic board HADN'T been replaced, and they found it was a software issue, which was resolved. It wasn't - issue was still there.

6. Booked another hopefully actual logic board repair, which was done, got called in and AGAIN THE ISSUE PERSISTED

7. Then the manager of the store said it must be an OS issue, which I don't believe, because ALL THE OTHER MACS in the store don't have that problem.

Back to square one with them but I'm so frustrated with the 'Geniuses' there, who can't seem to grasp the nature of the problem, or couldn't be bothered to read through what is by now page count of repair notes to rival War & Peace. Mega disappointing result - I hope they'll make up for it. I own every apple device under the sun1!!!

Jan 24, 2014 8:46 PM in response to Saeid

I have the same problem on a 13" Mid-2013 1.3 i5 8GB MacBook Air. Took it in, they did a screen replacement. No cigar. The problem persists. Definitely a hardware defect of some kind.

It does go away, though - it doesn't persist. Maybe I am pushing the graphics too hard with multiple spaces, browswer tabs, etc. and changing wallpapers - Could be a redraw glitch as someone else suggested...

MacBook Air 2013 i7 displays odd/random horizontal line

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.